Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Medication for Upper respiratory infection - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   Good afternoon..
User :   Hi Good Afternoon
User :   I have been having cold for last 2 days.
Doctor :   Ok
User :   Running noise and mild headache
Doctor :   Ok
User :   I feel headache during morning and at evening/night
User :   no sign of fever as such
Doctor :   Ok
User :   Please suggest me
Doctor :   Do you have associated symptoms such as sore throat, ear pain, fullness of ears?
Doctor :   Do you have history of allergies?
User :   Nothing as such. Sneezing but not so often
User :   No. But am having sneezing for long time
Doctor :   Ok
User :   usually sneezing i have in morning
User :   but again it is random
Doctor :   Do you have any other medical illness such as diabetes, bronchial asthma?
User :   Nothing as such. Right now I have running nose and headache. Sneezing have been an issue for long days.
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Let me explain to you.
Doctor :   You symptoms are consistent with the features of upper respiratory inflammation
Doctor :   The probable reason could be allergy or a viral infection.
Doctor :   These symptoms practically are self limiting ones meaning you need not concern.
Doctor :   You will need symptomatic measures which I shall suggest you.
Doctor :   1. Avoid any cold and refrigerated diet
Doctor :   2. Steam inhalation thrice a day - you can use vicks vapo rubs or alternatively use Karvol plus tablet into the boiling water and inhale.
Doctor :   3. Use antihistamine drugs such as cetrizine one tablet at night for 3 days.
Doctor :   4. If you notice fever, you can use tablet dolo 650 mg when your temperature goes above 100 degress
User :   Okay. No signs as such so far. And about the cold food, Like juice kept in refrigerator?
Doctor :   5. Drink plenty of water and take good amount of fruits and vegetables in your diet.
User :   I mean sign of fever.
Doctor :   6, Watch out for high grade fever with shivering, if you notice such symptoms
User :   ok
Doctor :   or develop new symptoms such as sore throat, severe ear ache,
Doctor :   It could be a sign of secondary bacterial infection
Doctor :   in which case, you need to see a doctor and obtain antibiotics.
Doctor :   7. Apart from this, i do suggest you to have good bed rest.
Doctor :   make sure that your diet and hydration are well maintained
Doctor :   You should be feeling better in 2-3 days time
User :   I take orange juice for hydration, apart from the water you suggest anything else?
Doctor :   however, if you find that you persist to have this symptoms for more than a week, you will need blood tests.
Doctor :   yes, fruit juices and good food/fruits will benefit you in faster recovery.
Doctor :   hence that is a good measure too.
Doctor :   Hope it is clear to you.
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
User :   I think sneezing is allergic? I have for more than a year?
Doctor :   Yes, long standing sneezing is indication that it is allergic.
Doctor :   however an acute viral infection can also cause sneezing.
Doctor :   Hence it is ideal that you watch out for all these symptoms.
User :   Does you suggestion is for current symptoms ( cold and headache)?
Doctor :   Consider seeing the doctor if such symptoms appear or if symptoms persists for more than a week.
Doctor :   Cetrizine will take care of the cold and Dolo 650mg is useful in treating the headaches.
Doctor :   Take them as suggested along with the steam inhalation with Karvol plus tablets.
Doctor :   Have you followed what I have suggested?
User :   Yes. Just a clarification, the inhalation is with hotwater and vicks vapour rubs or Karvol plus tablet?
Doctor :   Yes,
User :   Got that.
Doctor :   you can drop the tablet, infact it is a capsule
Doctor :   after cutting the tip of it into hot water
User :   you mean Karvol plus cut and put in hot water?
Doctor :   alternatively you can drop small amount of vicks vapo rub in hot water and inhale thrice a day.
Doctor :   Yes, cut the tip of the capsule, and squeeze the content into it or drop it into the water and inhale them.
Doctor :   Have you followed what I have suggested?
User :   alternatively on same day or following day?
Doctor :   Continue them for 2 - 3 days twice or thrice a day.
Doctor :   The measures suggested are for reducing the symptoms,
Doctor :   a complete cure is possible only after few days.
Doctor :   I mean you can use the Karvol plus capsule.
Doctor :   They are available easily at any pharmacy without prescription.
User :   Either or both?
Doctor :   If you do not find them at your pharmacy, you can ask for the vicks vapo rup.
Doctor :   Both have similar effects.
User :   GOt that
Doctor :   So you can use them continously or alternatively too. It doesn't matter
User :   thank you. I can find the tablet could be more effective?
Doctor :   Few people may find the medication less effective than the vapo rub.
Doctor :   So if you do not find them effectively, you can switch to vapo rup inhalation.
User :   Thank you.
Doctor :   Hope it is clear to you.
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
User :   Yes
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
User :   Thank you indeed.
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me.
User :   no
Doctor :   Wish you fast recovery.
Doctor :   Bye for now.
User :   Thank you.
User :   Bye
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor