Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Measures to relieve shooting ear ache - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   I have tinnitus and i notice when i get stressed it gets worse. However this year i have had 4 ear infections at least i think that is what it is. My right ear feels full, very painful and part of that side of face is numb.... what is the possible cause of this? I am 36 year old female...
Doctor :   hello
Doctor :   i am Dr XXX here
User :   hello
Doctor :   give me a min please
Doctor :   let me read your query
Doctor :   since when you have had this problem ?
User :   i have had tinnitus for 2 years, i think brought on by a cold, sorry i don't go to doctors much. but the ear pain started yesterday
Doctor :   any discharge ?
User :   no
Doctor :   any fever ?>
User :   my temp is about 37 although i feel tired even a bit nauseous (been like that for a week)
Doctor :   ok i think you have had some serious ear infection
Doctor :   anyway dont worry i will tell you few things you can do to help you speed up the recovery
Doctor :   and also after 3 days if the symptoms don't subside
Doctor :   you would have to go a ENT physician
User :   ok
Doctor :   Put few drops of garlic juice into the infected ear
Doctor :   Hold a warm compress to the ear. Inhaling steam also can help.
Doctor :   Gargle with warm salt water to soothe a sore throat and help open blocked ears.
Doctor :   Use pillows to raise the head when lying down. This helps drain the middle ear.
Doctor :   Over the counter drugs like aspirin ibuprofen, or acetaminophen can help with pain.
User :   ok i will do that and i have taken ibuprofen... it seems to help but i get a sharp pain almost every half hour shooting through the ear,, i assume that is normal
Doctor :   usually ear infections are treated successfully by a simple course of antibiotics
Doctor :   the pain you are having is from how many days ?
User :   in the ear going on 2 days
Doctor :   ok well we usually advice if the pain is more than 2 days then you should see an ENT physian
User :   i should say i have been highly stressed of late, hence why i feel this may have happened as i am very rarely sick, therefore if not gone withing 3 days i should see a physician
Doctor :   yes you should
User :   ok thank you, i will try your advice first... this has been helpful thank you
Doctor :   as i said Pour a few garlic juice in the paining ear; its antibiotic properties will help to relieve the pain
Doctor :   Apply some heat to your aching ear with a heating pad or a warm cloth. Put few drops of hydrogen peroxide in the painful ear.
Doctor :   you will surely find relief
Doctor :   also
User :   thank you so much
Doctor :   Take Vitamin C to enhance your immune system. It is a natural antibiotic and antihistamine that helps to decrease inflammation and fever. Include zinc in your diet since it reduces ear infection.
Doctor :   Certain foods, more normally dairy products like milk, butter, cheese etc tend to aggravate ear infections, so it is better to avoid them during an ear infection.
User :   i will do, i rarely eat dairy so that should be no problem thank you
Doctor :   put 2 drops of Crisco Oil into the sore ear and it will releive within minutes
Doctor :   your welcome
Doctor :   take care
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor