Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Measures to control obesity in children - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Parenting
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
User :   What do you recommend to parents to help their obese children lose weight?
Doctor :   HI
User :   hello
Doctor :   May I know the age of the child?
User :   It's more of a general question about children in elementary school through high school
Doctor :   Generally child hood obesity is associated with genetic factors.
Doctor :   Genes are responsible for the obesity.
Doctor :   It can be brought under control only by means of dietary modifications.
Doctor :   And by means of physical exercises, which in children would refer to out door sports and games.
Doctor :   Have you followed?
User :   yes thank you! what do you think is the best way to determine if a child is overweight or not? BMI, etc.?
Doctor :   BMI is the one of the means.
Doctor :   One of the other means by measuring the midarm circumference.
Doctor :   This method is useful in children less than the age of 5.
Doctor :   In the rest of them it is usually calculated by terms of weight and height.
Doctor :   Have you followed?
User :   yes thanks.. about what percentage of the children you've seen have had to be treated for childhood obesity?
Doctor :   Apart from the genetic factors which is responsible for most causes of childhood obesity, other medical illness can also cause obesity in a less percentage of children.
Doctor :   If not associated with these medical illness, about 40 to 50% will be able to loose weight by the time they reach adult hood.
Doctor :   Most of them come to normal weight by adulthood.
Doctor :   Have you followed?
User :   yes thank you!!
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
User :   that's it thank you!
Doctor :   Please fill the feedback form too.
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me. Bye for now. Please refer your friends to our service.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor