Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Lump in vagina - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Average Posted in: Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3631 Questions
User :   A few days ago i had a look down below and i noticed a fleshy lump inside my vaginal opening. Its at the top part of the vagina. I can see into my vagina below it. I have been worried about what this could be? Do you have any idea?
Also could i have broken my hymen by rubbing my clitoris? Please could you help me out..i am really worried
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hi doctor
Doctor :   Hi, I have gone through your query, May I ask you a few more questions pertaining to your problme to help you better ?
User :   yes
User :   of course
Doctor :   May I know if there is any pain ?
User :   No there isn't any pain
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   May I know since when this lump might be there ?
User :   i am not really sure. i haven't really looked down there below and i have never noticed it otherwise.
User :   i had thrush a few weeks ago. so i checked to see if it was completely gone
Doctor :   Ok, Can you examine the lump , is it hard ? or soft ? what could be the size ?
User :   its not is about the size of a finger tip.
Doctor :   Ok.
User :   its quite sensitive to touch
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   Like do you have tenderness when you touch ? Pain on touch ?
Doctor :   or is it any other sensation ?
User :   no not pain but i can feel it when i touch
User :   no tenderness
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   I shall give you the possible differential diagnosis as it is difficult to zero in without physical examination .
User :   ok
User :   i understand
Doctor :   1. Vaginal cyst : A vaginal cyst is a closed sac on or under the vaginal lining that contains fluid or semisolid material. There are several types of vaginal cysts, which can range in size from the size of a pea to that of an orange. Vaginal inclusion cysts are the most common. These may form as a result of trauma sustained by the vaginal walls or following an obstetric or gynecologic procedure, when the lining of the vagina doesn't heal to its normal smoothness.
Doctor :   Vaginal cysts usually do not cause symptoms, although there may be a soft lump felt in the vaginal wall or protruding from the vagina. Some women with vaginal cysts may have discomfort during sexual intercourse or difficulty inserting tampons.
User :   ok. is this treatable?
Doctor :   2.or it could be cervixitis ( inflammation of the cervix do to overgrowth of bacteria )
Doctor :   Yes it is treatable, very much.
User :   ok
Doctor :   Most cysts subside after antibiotic treatment with proper pressure bandage, in some cases they require surgical excission .
User :   right ok
User :   i read somewhere that this can also be caused by a cervical prolapse? is there such a thing?
Doctor :   As you dont have pain , I am ruling out Uterine prolapse .
User :   ok..thats good! :)
Doctor :   and as you have not given any history of abnormal bleeding during menstruation , I am ruling out any fibroid of uterus protruding into vagina
User :   yes thats right. i don't get abnormal bleeding
User :   ok so do u suggest a trip to see my doctor for a physical exam?
Doctor :   I would suggest you to get a small puch biopsy done and a physical by the gynec.
Doctor :   it would be the best thing to do
User :   ok.
User :   is that a pap smear?
Doctor :   It is something very similar to that.
Doctor :   You are right.
User :   ok. i will do that.
User :   thanks
User :   thanks. i have been thinking all sorts
Doctor :   Thank you for consulting me, Take care
Doctor :   Dont worry, it is easily treatable,
Doctor :   Bye for now.
User :   Thanks again.
User :   Bye
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor