Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Lump in front and back of the right ear, change of colour of the skin of the swellings, inflammation of hair follicle,uncomfortable to turn the head laparoscopic surgery sugfgested - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
Doctor :   Hi,
User :   hello doctor
User :   im worried of the lump infront and at the back of my right ear
User :   in the front is just small, movable but at the back is hard no pain and none movable
User :   the front lump came out 1st and the one at the back I just noticed like 10 mins ago
Doctor :   Ok, Since when are you noticing the swellings ?
Doctor :   Ok,
User :   in front is like 3-4 days ago
Doctor :   Do they hurt on touching ?
User :   no
Doctor :   Do you see any color change in the skin over the swellings ?
User :   the one infront when it started it was painfull
User :   but the one at the back no pain at all
Doctor :   Ok , may i know the approximate size of the lesions ?
User :   my husband said that the color is de same like my skin
User :   the front is smaller than the corn
Doctor :   Ok,
User :   the one in the back is like bigger than a pes
User :   pea
Doctor :   Ok, do you see any red point or a pus point over the lesion ?
User :   none
Doctor :   Ok, i suspect them to be folliculitis
User :   what are they?
Doctor :   well most of times they are self limiting needing no treatment
Doctor :   its the inflammation of the hair follicle
Doctor :   if you see , they rapidly increasing in size or pointing pus then you may need to be put on antibiotics
User :   what would cause something like this?
User :   the one in the back is really so fast
User :   i notice it because while lying down its uncomfortable rolling my head to the right like an object was there undere
Doctor :   Mild scratch , insect bite , acne getting infected , hormonal changes can lead to such leasions
Doctor :   it would have been there for more than a day or so , but in recent increase in the size so got noticed by you
User :   yes
User :   do i need any test to know what exactly is this
Doctor :   no , tests are needed.Wait for some more days say for two days and see whether there is any rapid increase in the size then you may need to consult a nearby doctor to get examined and be put on antibiotics
Doctor :   i meant no tests needed *
User :   dr. i just saw a picture of folliculitis its not like what i have
User :   the one that i saw is so small compare to whats in me
Doctor :   the just start of it will present as a mild swelling, the pictures you see in the net will be after a full blown infection
User :   mine is round hard doesnt move and round
User :   as in solid round like a marble but size is bigger than a pea
Doctor :   yes, in the beginning due to the inflammation they appear firm round swellings, later when progressed tissue exudate ( inflammatory fluid ) will be released making the swelling pointed and discharge pus
User :   oh i forgot to tell you that since the day before yesterday i was very very dizzy
User :   standing, sitting, or even lying down
Doctor :   ok, that could be the sign of infection
User :   sorry that i forgot to mention it
Doctor :   Do you feel feverish ?
User :   and when standing or lying down i have headache like i just fininsh having a spinal aneasthesia
User :   yes
Doctor :   Ok, then i am sure of the diagnosis i am suspecting
Doctor :   if you have googled the images of foliculitis , its showing severe diffuse involvement cases.
Doctor :   need not worry , as i advised give it time
Doctor :   if any signs of progression like increase in size , pain etc then consult a nearby doctor
User :   oh ok like how many days will this take before dissapirring
Doctor :   4 days on max
User :   ok dr. one more thing
Doctor :   yes, please
User :   a ureteral stent was placed in my right ureters and stayed there for 6 months, so when my urologist was removing it, unfortunately the top portion of the double j stent broke and is inside my right kidney up to this moment
User :   what procedure can they do to remove it without me undergoing open surgery
User :   and what can be the possible risk and complications that its still inside me
Doctor :   the procedure depends on the exact site of the remnant of the stent
Doctor :   the risk is merely due to its mechanical effects , there would be no reaction to the material as they are inert
Doctor :   most of times such cases are dealt with laproscopy
Doctor :   very rarely they opt for open surgery
User :   but my urologist wants to do open
User :   i consulted another urologist and said that a reflexscope i think or rigid can do the job
Doctor :   yes, there would be different opinions, try for the conservative ones
User :   are there any other possible procedures? because I have been in 9 surgeries already
Doctor :   Laproscopy is the best to replace the open surgery and is safe and effective too
User :   isnt it laparoscopic surgery still will open up areas?
Doctor :   it will be holes ,
User :   in this procedure will they be opening also the kidney to get it?
Doctor :   through holes, hence called" Key hole" surgeries
Doctor :   they may access the stent piece by cutting open the ureter
User :   is this safe?
Doctor :   Yes, it is safe and with very less complications
User :   ok so thank you very much doctor for your time
Doctor :   You are welcome
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me
Doctor :   kindly provide your feedback
Doctor :   Bye for now
Doctor :   Take care
Doctor :   Bye for now
Doctor :   Wishing you good health
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor