Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Lower chest pain, increasing pain. Is that worth worrying? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 12-Jun-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 106 Questions
User:Hi Doctor
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:From the past two days, I have pain in my right lower chest area.
User:I'm 24 yrs old, male.
User:and today it seems to have increased, and every time I bend or sit down (like on the floor) the pain increases
User:is it anything to be worried about?
User:will it subside by itself?
Doctor:Can you grade the severity of pain in a scale of 1 to 10?
Doctor:Do you have nausea, vomiting or fever?
Doctor:Do you have cough or breathing issues?
Doctor:Does the pain increase/reduce after food?
Doctor:Do you consume alcohol?
User:no it is same after food as well
User:i consume alcohol
User:but rarely
User:like once in 2-3 months
Doctor:Does it hurt when you press the right upper part of abdomen?
User:but i had consumed alcohol like 1-2 days before this pain started
User:on pressing the chest part it pains.. but very little.. on scale of 1-10, the pain is like 2..
Doctor:Let me brief you.
Doctor:Right lower chest, an area which is adjacent to upper abdominal area has few organs. The area becomes painful due to muscular causes, lower chest infection, gall stones, liver issues, peptic ulcers, etc.
Doctor:Considering the fact that you do not have cough and breathing problems, it is unlikely you have an lung/chest related issues.
Doctor:Therefore what you have could be related to gall stones and alcohol related issues.
User:actually i'm realising that it's not really lower chest area..
Doctor:If the pain is discomforting, you need to consult a surgeon and get some tests such as liver function test and ultrasound scan done.
User:i can say it's right chest area
User:i have cough issues.. not severe.. but it's been there for past few months.. but not severe
Doctor:Severe bouts of cough can induce intercostal muscle sprain. However insignificant cough can be unrelated complaint.
Doctor:I would suggest you to consider consulting a surgeon and get investigated.
Doctor:I am sure the liver function tests and ultrasound scan will help us determine the cause, its treatment and ways to prevent it in future.
User:yes the cough is insignificant
User:which kind of surgeon should I consult?
Doctor:You can consider visiting a general surgeon or a gastroenterologist.
User:could this be gastric trouble?
Doctor:If they are not available closeby, you can visit your family physician.
User:my family says it must be gastric trouble
Doctor:Yes, gastritis, peptic ulcers and even pancreatitis can cause similar complaints. Clinical examination, blood tests and investigations are therefore important to confirm the possibility, treat it and to understand the measures of prevention.
Doctor:Have you followed?
Doctor:Do you have any other questions?
User:no other questions. thank you doctor
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor:Bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor