Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Lower back leg pain, twiching. Advise? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 26-Mar-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
User:Hello Doctor XXXXXXX
User:This is for my wife, aged 36
Doctor:Please go ahead
User:She has been complaining of a throbbing pain in the lwer back leg (Calf Muscle area), specially during night times
User:which affects her sleep
User:Also she has this twitching of legs periodically when she is sleeping
User:she doesnt realise it but her leg keeps moving very periodically (every minute or so)
User:The two conditions might be related in some way or might not be, but wanted to get a doctors advice on the next steps
Doctor:I have few imp questions for you
Doctor:Since how long is she doing this?
User:The leg movement have been there for about 6 months nopw
User:off and on
User:or possible more than that too
Doctor:Ok Is she working or stay home?
User:She is at home now
Doctor:IS she complaining of day time sleepiness?
User:she quite her job about 5 months back
Doctor:Is it affecting her day to day activities by any how?
User:quit her job.... Apologies for the typo
User:Nope... She is fine during the day time and very active
User:with 2 kids, managing them through out the day
Doctor:DId you see a doctor for this?
User:We had once consulted a homeopathic doctor, and she had taken the medicines for about a month... But we have not seen much difference from that
Doctor:Any medicines?
User:No Doctor.
Doctor:Ok, sleepless XXXXXXX at night and movements of legs are the common symptoms of a condition called Periodic Limb Movement Disorder
Doctor:It can be of two types, one is because of some underlying problem and second there may not be any cause that is identified after investigating further
Doctor:The underlying problems can be Thyroid, Anemia, Diabetes, Sleep Apnoea etc
Doctor:Hence a routine blood and urine investigations are appropriate
Doctor:along with a very specific investigation to confirm the diagnosis called Polysomnography
User:We had carried out the routine tests about 11 months back... they were normal then
User:I should probably do a master/women helth checkup again?
User:and the Polysomnography
Doctor:A Neurologist consultation may be beneficial too
User:Okkay... I will get thta done
Doctor:Did you follow?
Doctor:Do you have any specific questions to address?
User:I did doctor
User:Thankyou very much
User:I will check with a neuro
User:and then take the appropriate tests
Doctor:Yes you can utilize our other services for consult with Neuro
Doctor:Fix Appointment with Doctor
User:Both the current throbbing pain and the PLMD, could be related... isnt it?
Doctor:yes, restless legs can lead to accumulation of products which can throbbing pain
Doctor:in the legs
Doctor:sorry in the muscles
User:okkay.. Any inteim remedial measures that can be undertaken before we consult a neurologist?
Doctor:There is minimal that I can advice you an an interim measure as all the medications are prescription based and has to be obtained only after confirmation of the diagnosis
Doctor:Ofcourse, hot water baths help
Doctor:Did you follow?
Doctor:Did I answer all your questions?
Doctor:You are not responding, I shall close the window now. Please login if you have more queries.
Question is related to
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor