Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Knees and hips are hurting intensly, previously diagnosed with PFPS - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
Doctor :   hi
User :   Hi;I am a , and right now i am recieving tricare health insurance.
User :   My knees and my hips are hurting intensly.
Doctor :   Hi, How may I help you ?
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   Since when you are having this problem ?
User :   I've been diagnosed with PFPS a year ago. But i went to afghanistan and since i've returned they've been like hurting all the time and its a sharp pain.
Doctor :   do you have any pustle sor blisters or sores on the lips?
User :   What?
Doctor :   do you have any pustles or blisters or sores on the lips?
User :   Nope
Doctor :   Ok, Do you have the patello-femoral pain in both the knees ?
Doctor :   For your problem of Patello-femoral pain syndrome , I would advise you to follow the following points before you visit an Orthopedician for a review physically.
Doctor :   1. RICE (Rest, ice compression and elevation) after activity. This will help reduce pain and swelling.
2.Rest until there is no pain (this is very important).
3.Use a knee support or heat retainer (a patella stabilising support to control excess movement is best). A knee brace would help , if you do not have any at least a crepe band.
Doctor :   4. Diclo gel massage over the knees , not very hard but a superficial massage would help.
Doctor :   5. Tab.Brufen 500mg thrice daily if the pain is unbearable and you need a pain killer.
User :   What is a knee support
User :   Oh okay..
User :   What could i do to help the pain in my hips?
Doctor :   They are knee braces which would support the knee joint and ease out the pressure on the joint aas they take the load.
Doctor :   May I know your age please ?
Doctor :   Do you feel both the knee pain and hip pain are related or they are completely seperate entities ?
Doctor :   Because usually a problem in one joint shows up on another.
User :   I see..
Doctor :   Is the pain in hip on both the sides ?
User :   Yes it is.
Doctor :   Due to the tightness in the knee joint the muscles like hamstrings , quadriceps and illio-tibial band become tightened and you get hip or sometimes ankle pain as weel.
Doctor :   Need to avoid the following movements and actions for your knees and legs : Doctor :  
1.Overloading - Bending the knee increases the pressure between the patella and the femur. Thus sports such as running, where repeated weight-bearing occurs, may result in PFPS.
2.Pronating Feet - Pronating or 'flat' feet lead to an increased biomechanical stress on the knee joint. This may affect the alignment of the patella particularly during movement.
3.Q-angle - Some people have a larger than normal femoral angle (known as the Q-angle) resulting in a 'knock-kneed' appearance (genu valgum). When the person straightens their leg when weight bearing, the patella will be forced to the outside of the knee. With repeated bending and loading, this motion may lead to damage of the underlying structures like hip and cause pain.
Doctor :   The most important advise for a an army man would be rest.
Doctor :   Unless you get some good rest for your knees and hips , you will not be releived of your symptoms .
Doctor :   Pleasse do not run and over load the legs.
User :   Okay.. Thank you.
Doctor :   And about your lip problem , please have Vit.B tab as it amy be cheliosis.
Doctor :   a vitamin deffeciency .
Doctor :   or a simple cold sore, will heal spontaneously, not to worry.
Doctor :   thank you for consulting me.
Doctor :   take care.
Doctor :   bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor