Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Knee injury causing cracking pain while bending - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
User :   I have numbness from my right knee half way up the outside of the thigh, my knee also cracks when I bend itn and also has a crunching sound especially when walking up stairs.
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   oK.
Doctor :   May I know your age please ?
Doctor :   Hi, Are you there ?
Doctor :   Did you have any injury in the recent past ?
User :   Sorry, I am 47, yes I had a bad fall when I was 18, where it was thought that I had broken my knee cap, I have also played netball till I was around 30yrs, I had another fall 2 yrs ago on the sam knee, since the last fall I have had the numbness.
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   You might be having a Patello-knee joint pain syndrome
Doctor :   There might be a inflammation in the joint or a tear somewheer in teh ligament.
Doctor :   I would suggest a x-ray , digital one.
Doctor :   and I would suggest an orthopedicians advise as sometimes it can be a ligament tear .
Doctor :   I want you to do a small test yourself , can you do it now ?
User :   Yes
Doctor :   Pls. lie down on a bed.
Doctor :   Pls. And seeif you can move your knee side ways
User :   Yes I can move it side ways
Doctor :   do you hear any click ?
User :   No
Doctor :   very good
Doctor :   how about when you flex and extend your knee ?
User :   Yes clicking and crunching sound
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   I need to tell you that in that case you have to get a x-ray done
Doctor :   you might have a patello-femoral problem and you will be lucku if you dont have a ligamnet tear.
Doctor :   if there is a ligament tear , you might be asked to take an MRI for that.
Doctor :   Do oyu have anything else to ask ?
Doctor :   plese do not over strain this knee
Doctor :   use a crepe band immediately.
Question is related to
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor