Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Kidney treatment, creatinene level 2.4, adviced 10 piptaz inj twice a day, asked to terminate pregnancy - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Kidney Conditions
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2576 Questions
User :   My wife has been udergoing kidney treatment from past two weeks,when we didthe blood and urine tests theCreatinene level showed as 2.4 and protein loss showed as +++, so Neprologist asked us to take 10 PIPtaz IV inj twice a day and we followed the same. Yesterday we did the blood and urine tests again but see no difference in creatine and protein levels, though a there is a slight improvement in pus cell level. Now the doc is referring for Biopsy to examine further, but yesterday we also did pregnancy test and also met a Ganacologist and make her speak to our Neprologist. They are suggesting to terminate the pregnancy as there might be risk involved to both child and mother.Alkso they are saying Kidnay problem can not be effective diagnoised neither Biopsy can be performed under this circumstances. Pls advise if terminating pregnancy is a must here
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   I am reading your query
User :   her age is 22
User :   and we were married last april
Doctor :   How many weeks pregnant are you?
User :   I suppose this is her 3 or 4th week
Doctor :   yes, there is long way to travel thru pregancy
Doctor :   What is the diagnosis?
Doctor :   What is the kidney disease/diagnosis?
User :   only Piptaz injection was given for 5 days
Doctor :   Did they tell you the name of the kidney disease?
User :   no
User :   to diagnoise further they are insisting on biopsy
Doctor :   Pitaz is just antibitic
User :   as mentioned above protein and creatine level is not coming down
Doctor :   ok
User :   Pitaz was given intially bcz there was also a sign of UTI
Doctor :   I will agree with the Gynecologist and Nephrologist
Doctor :   I have reasons
Doctor :   There is moderate to severe proteinuria
Doctor :   Did they do 24 hr urine proteins
User :   yep
Doctor :   How many grams are there ?
User :   also possible types of urine tests were done
User :   252 gms
Doctor :   There is high chance that during the course of pregnancy there is possible abortion
User :   you mean auto abortion will happen if the protein level not come down
Doctor :   auto means?
User :   ?
Doctor :   Here there is moderate to severe kidney disease
Doctor :   Other side there is baby growing
Doctor :   baby requires healthy mother
Doctor :   If the mother's kidney are not functioning properly, it will affect the baby
Doctor :   How it affects : 1 baby needs proteins for growth. When there is protein deficiency baby may not grow
Doctor :   organs may not develop propeerly
User :   my Gynecologist wants to give a last try and speak to the neprologist again to see if the biopsy can be done after 3 months
Doctor :   I think you are getting some concept!
Doctor :   That is like taking a chance
Doctor :   You wait until the baby grows and mean while wait until kidney disease get worse
User :   so, what are your recomendations?
Doctor :   Kidney biopsy may or may not lead to abortion
Doctor :   Do you follow
Doctor :   Not all kidney biopsies cause abortions
User :   do you suggets ternimating the pregnancy then go for biopsy or Biopsy can be performed in this circumstances and once we discovered the reason after biospy we can simationiously start kidney treatment?
Doctor :   But if the kidney disease persisting , persisting proteinuria, persisting high creatinine will cause damage to fetus
Doctor :   1. I recommend biopsy now
Doctor :   get the diagnosis
Doctor :   if the disease is severe , control the disease
Doctor :   if the disease is going to interfere with pregancy go for abortion
Doctor :   2. meanwhile if the biopsy cause abortion, take the risk
Doctor :   This is my opinion
User :   Biopsy causing abortion... will this have any major health impact to the mother?
Doctor :   no
Doctor :   Biopsy cause bleeding
Doctor :   But it will be mild.
Doctor :   Bleeding from abortion will be mild.
User :   how long the patient shoul be hospitalised?
User :   ?
Doctor :   Max 24 hrs
Doctor :   ?
Doctor :   Didi I answer your questions?
User :   Doctor: if the disease is going to interfere with pregancy go for abortion ...if the disease does not interfere should we continue with both?
Doctor :   Yes
Doctor :   If the kidney disease is controllable, you can continue pregancy
User :   hope in the future this will not have any impact on the baby ?
User :   in fact doc is recommending the following: User :   Terminating first and then going for Biopsy
User :   doc refered to Neprologist*
Doctor :   is this Nephrologist opinion
User :   yes
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   And your Gyncec said wait for 3 mo
User :   Gynec said we would give a try and speak to neprologist again nex week
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   That is good idea
User :   suppose if I go according to my neprologist, going for termination first and Biopsy second
User :   what should be the time gap in these two?
Doctor :   let them discuss
Doctor :   Not long
Doctor :   May be 1-2 wks
Doctor :   Thank you
Doctor :   bye
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor