Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Kidney stones, chronic pain, blood in urine, Lithotripsy - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Kidney Conditions
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2581 Questions
User :   well....I have been dealing with pain in right and left flanks and lower abdomen down into scrotum. Was diagnosed with kidney stones in October when the pain first started. I passed one since then, but still have the pain. I have had many tests and scans since then and the doctors can't seem to figure why I still have pain and have now been diagnosed as a "victim" of chronic pain. My latest ultrasound has shown two non-obstructing calculi in both of my kidneys. One on the right is mid kidney (5 mm) and one in the lower pole of the left kidney (4 mm). Any insight into my pain?
Doctor :   Hi,
User :   hi
Doctor :   Do you wish to consult anther doctor ? I shal fix an appointment for you
User :   no its ok
User :   The latest ultrasound was taken on March 10th
Doctor :   The stones in the kidney could explain the pain well.The pain you had is due to the stones present in the kidney
User :   I have seen a urologist and a surgeon. The surgeon was going to do a colonoscopy to see if there was another cause of the pain but thought the pain could be the kidney stones. However the specialist and my gp (family doctor) don't believe them to be the cause of the pain due to them being non-obstructing
Doctor :   I agree , if the stones where in the pelvix then the pain could be least expected as the place is very roomy,but here the stones are adjacent to the renal tissue which is very sensitive can cause bleeding and pain on minor irritation too
User :   I have had blood in the urine also
Doctor :   yes, thats one adding point to the fact that the stones in the kidney are the reason for pain
User :   ok, is there any way I can get a seperate diagnosis from another doctor on here just make sure?
Doctor :   Please wait while i discuss with my fellow doctors over phone.
User :   ok
Doctor :   My colleagues too agree with me , they do not have any other opinion
User :   ok, so what do I do now?
Doctor :   Go for ESWL ( lithotripsy ), under good antibiotic cover . Thats the only conservative measure
User :   but my doctor and specialist will not do this as they do not see them as causing the pain
Doctor :   Do take a second opinion,
Doctor :   preferably by a urologist ,
User :   I have had 5 oinions now....a urologist a surgeon my gp and two emerg. doctors
User :   only one agreed with me
User :   Have you ever seen a patient where morphine will not work to relieve pain?
Doctor :   no , i mean very rarely
User :   I am ms-contin now... I could take 90mg and it would do nothing to me but numb the pain
Doctor :   oh , i suggest you to visit another urologist and ask for lithotripsy. Once if the stones are gone then other possibilities could be thought
Doctor :   keeping the stones in the kidney with blood in the urine i do not think its fair to beat around the bush
User :   the pain is pretty constant right now. I am still taking the morphine but my family doctor put me on another drug which he thinks will help with chronic pain......I think it is getting it possible that the new drug is making the pain worse?
Doctor :   May i know the name of the new drug ?
User :   ya... Baclofen
Doctor :   its a muscle relaxant , m sure it may not help if the pain is due to what i suspect
User :   I think it is actually making it worse
Doctor :   but worsening ! cannot be explained
User :   ya it is weird not sure myself
User :   ok well thank you for now....have a good weekend
Doctor :   you are welcome
User :   bye
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor