Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

It it normal to have indigestion during pregnancy? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 03-Jan-2014
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Pregnancy
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 106 Questions
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:hi doctor..
User:is it possible to talk to any Gyno
Doctor:I am Physician. Gynecologist are not available on live chat.
Doctor:If you wish to discuss with a gynecologist only, then I suggest you to use Ask A specialist option.
User:ok doc..
User:am XXXXXXX wife...
User:i had a missed period.. took home pregnancy test.. which was positive last week..
User:i had indigestion and acidity problem since 10 days..
User:felt better for few days.. suddenly again it starts..
User:feel a burning sensation in my stomach..
Doctor:Where exactly do you notice the pain?
User:is it normal during pregnancy..
Doctor:Is it above the belly button?
User:no... most of the time i feel burning sensation in the centre of stomach
User:and some times i had slight pricking in lower abdomen
Doctor:For how long do these pain last?
User:for half an hour
Doctor:Do you feel the pain is related to food intake?
User:actually we had gone tour during end of nov... for 3 days we had outside food..
User:will the acidity be because of this,..
Doctor:Hyperacidity and indigestion can be precipitated by outside food.
Doctor:However many women experience unusual abdominal pain early during pregnancy too. That is normal.
Doctor:I would suggest you to use antacid such as gelusil three times a day half an hour before food for few days.
Doctor:Gelusil is safe during pregnancy.
Doctor:And see how your symptoms progress.
Doctor:If you feel the pain is worsening or if you feel them as cramps
Doctor:you need to get back to your doctor.
User:wat kind of food i should hv...
Doctor:The pain that you described is not typical symptoms of hyperacidity.
Doctor:So I suggest a trial of gelusil.
Doctor:If symptoms do not resolve, your doctors should look for other problems.
User:then would will be the issue with me
Doctor:As far as food is concerned, it is best to take simple and less spicy diet.
Doctor:Avoid too much oily and fatty food.
Doctor:Restrict your coffee/tea consumption.
Doctor:Prefer to eat in less quantity but frequent meals.
Doctor:I mean small and more frequent meals is better now.
Doctor:Avoid fasting.
User:wat fruits and veg can i take
Doctor:Medically you are free to take all fruits and vegetables. But unripe fruits including unripe banana need to be taken in reduced amount.
Doctor:Besides those I do not have any other fruit and vegetable restrictions to you.
Doctor:Have you followed?
Doctor:Do you have any other questions?
User:can i take buttermilk and curd
Doctor:Surely you can take them.
Doctor:Do you have any other questions?
User:will any food cool my burning sensation
Doctor:I am expecting you to feel better with gelusil and less spicy food.
Doctor:But as I said earlier if you don't feel better, you need to see a doctor for physical examination.
User:my doc has prescribed pantocap..
User:is it safe during this time
Doctor:Pantocap is an alternative to gelusil.
Doctor:Though the mechanism of action is different, it can be taken.
Doctor:This medicine is also considered safe.
Doctor:You can take them as instructed instead of gelusil.
Doctor:Do you have any more questions?
Doctor:Are you there?
Doctor:Are you there?
Doctor:I have to close the chat as you are not responding.
Doctor:You can chat with us 24/7 if you have any medical query
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor