Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Is there any OTC drug that can be taken in B12 deficiency? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 01-Mar-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
Doctor:welcome to XXXXXXX
User:thnks. I wil like to know best OTC for B12 defficiency
Doctor:may i Know your age ?
Doctor:and may i know the condition, you have been diagnosed with ?>
Doctor:Usually B12 deficiency, can occur due to intestinal malabsorption syndromes, in which the absorption may be the problem
User:last year I was diagnosed with B12 deff in a blood test was was prescribed injection which I took. However I want to know if there is any oral medicine or inhalation which I can tale
Doctor:hence in such cases, OTC medications taken by mouth , are not effective, In such cases injections of B12 are needed
User:I have IBS and cometime chest congestion otehrwise
Doctor:Yes, there are B complex capsules, which you can take
Doctor:but as mentioned, if it is a intestinal defect, then taking them will not help
User:Will b clomplex capsules take care of Vit B12
Doctor:In such cases, B12 injections can be taken every 3 months
Doctor:And that will be more than enough to take care of the deficneicy
Doctor:but in case, the cause is just dietary, then Oral intake of B12, in the form of Cap Neurobion forte can be taken for 2-3 months
Doctor:or as long as needed
User:I got all stomach relates test done and there is no issue identifed. I wanted to check if there is any oral or inhalation medcine for B12. I recently read that there is so checking
Doctor:there are no inhalation medications,
Doctor:but oral medicines, as mentioned , can be taken
User:thanks ..just rechking that Cap Neurobion forte will help in B12 defficiency?
Doctor:first, you need to consult your doctor, and tests need to be done, to know if it is a Dietary defect OR a intestinal malabsorption defect
User:I have got endosocy/biopsy etc done and there wer e no issued identified however in blood test B12 deff was identified
User:are there any other test which you recommed
Doctor:In that case, you can take oral Capsule that i have mentioned
User:thanks a ton. Bye
Doctor:You are welcome
Doctor:take care and bye for now
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor