Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Is it safe to get married between Rh positive and Rh negative people? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 11-Sep-2014
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Genetics
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
User:hello doctor
Please proceed with your query
User:this query is regarding my brother he is 31 years old and has postive blood group
User:b or o positive i am not sure
User:we are planning to get him married.. the girl we are lookin has b negative blood group
User:i have heard that it ill have affect on their future child
User:if parents rh factor are not same
User:is that so?
Doctor:Yes, there are some concerns. However it is not something that cannot be prevented.
Doctor:I would not consider this as a ground to reject marriage proposal.
User:are there any treatment available that can be sought before they convcieve
Doctor:If your brother's wife is rH negative and the first child happens to be Rh positive
Doctor:her gynecologist will give her immunoglobulin
Doctor:This will prevent all events of incompatibility from occuring in the next child.
Doctor:Only when Rh immunoglobulin is not received
Doctor:there are chances of problems with incompatibility during the subsequent pregnancy.
Doctor:Therefore as you see medical problems arising from this marriage can be easily taken care off (prevented).
Doctor:So no reasons to be concerned.
Doctor:Did you follow what I said? Can you summarize our discussion?
User:i got it
Doctor:Do you have any more queries?
User:that means before concieving they should seek proper medical advice from gyne and after their first child they should check about rh immunoglobin if childs rh is positive
User:then medical problems can be avoided
Doctor:Complete antenatal check up is a must for all women in all pregnancy.
Doctor:Based on the details you provided, i don't see any other need for special extra check ups.
User:thanks a lot doctor
Doctor:And yes, Rh immunoglobulin should be administered without fail
User:your advice is valuable :)
Doctor:if the first baby turns out to be Rh positive.
Doctor:If all your questions are answered
Doctor:I wish to know if I can ignore the question you posted on my dashboard.
User:yes yes you can
Doctor:I see you posted the same question before coming to chat here.
User:and if the baby is rh negative
User:can baby suffer from down syndrome?
Doctor:There are no risks involved if all the baby is Rh negative.
Doctor:Down's syndrome is a different entity altogether.
User:actually in my family my mother has rh positive while my father has rh negative blood group and my sister is a down syndrome child
User:so thats why
Doctor:It is not based on Rh compatibility.
User:we were a bit concerened
Doctor:Down syndrome is caused by genetic changes that is not related to blood groups.
Doctor:In your brother's case,
User:ok can that be checked in early stages of pregnancy and is it hereditary?
Doctor:his wife (if she is Rh negative) should receive Rh immunoglobulin whenever she gives birth to Rh positive child.
Doctor:It can be during the first pregnancy or in the subsequent pregnancy.
Doctor:As far as Down syndrome is concerned
Doctor:the gynecologist can perform triple marker
Doctor:and other tests during pregnancy
Doctor:which can predict chances of down syndrome.
Doctor:If tests reveal high chances of down syndrome then the couple can take necessary action.
Doctor:Since history of Down syndrome is with your family
Doctor:the risks for down syndrome will be passed on through your brother
Doctor:this has no relation with the girls blood group.
User:thanks doctor :)
Doctor:So in short, blood group compatibility is not a ground for choosing marriage bans.
Doctor:Hope I am clear.
Doctor:Do you have any more questions?
User:no thanks doctor
User:this was the only question
Doctor:Thanks for visiting me here. Bye for now.
User:my family ahs misconceptions about this so we thought its better to consult a doctor
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor