Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Is HIV curable? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 11-Oct-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: HIV and AIDS
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1539 Questions
User:hello doctor
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:what is H1
Doctor:H1 as in H1N1?
User:is there any sucessful treatment on HIV
Doctor:h stands for Heamagglutinin 1
Doctor:and N stands for Neuraminidase !
Doctor:And the answer to your second question is, right now. NO
Doctor:Maybe in the short future there will be
User:what is the time frame
Doctor:as many doctors are working to find out a complete cure for HIV
Doctor:I can't say that
Doctor:But very recently they have started the phase 1 clinical trials on HIV vaccine, and it does look promising
User:anibody means
Doctor:If that vaccine works then we will have a breakthrough
Doctor:You mean antibody?
Doctor:Antibodies are complex protein molecules
User:he had only 7 then
Doctor:that are produced by many types of white blood cells
Doctor:Can you come again? and if you don't mind please elaborate on that
User:the count of antibodies is 5
Doctor:I am sorry, you need to be more elaborate than that..
User:is there any chance that me and my sister affeted with that
Doctor:who are you referring to?
User:my father had affeted with the H1
Doctor:What antibody did you get tested?
User:he is 55 years old
User:whr we can get this vaccine
Doctor:And his report said he had antibodies of 5,
Doctor:can you please mention the units and the reference ranges that were mentioned along side the report?
User:i think its around 27-50
User:there are 2 type first one is positive and other one is negative
User:means wat?
Doctor:There is H1 and N1
Doctor:you mean H1 is positive?
Doctor:Generally when we test the antibody levels we measure the quanitity
Doctor:and this quantity is mentioned as Units/Liter or IU/ML
Doctor:so I just want to know what unit is mentioned next to the number 7
User:i dont have the report with me
User:let me know is it curable
Doctor:Yes, H1N1 influenza is curable with the antiviral medicines
User:All observed values are positive except HIV-II
User:Biological references are nagative
Doctor:What about HIV-I?
User:its menttioning that HIV I positive
User:I dont know it is mentioned on reports
Doctor:Then you need to get him started on anti HIV medicines as soon as possible after confirming that HIV is truly positive
User:it is curable
Doctor:Please check the reports again
User:what i have report with me now
Doctor:HIV right now is not curable, but can be controlled with the available medicines
Doctor:You have the report with you now?
User:can u suggest doctor from navi mumbai
Doctor:can you type the exact report?
Doctor:Or if possible you can mail the reports to my e-mail id YYYY@YYYY
User:i sent u
User:any doctors from navi mubai
User:good doctor
Doctor:If anyone has HIV, they should go to the government VCTC center for counselling and proper reporting of the disease
Doctor:And there you will be explained everything about the disease and what you should do and what you should not do
Doctor:Please visit your nearest government hospital
User:they have vaccine
Doctor:or you can go to any big hospital, they will also report the disease to the government appropriately after confirming if it really positive
Doctor:No my dear, the vaccine is not yet available for public use
Doctor:it is still undergoing research
Doctor:and is at a very early stage of develoment
User:and which specilist we need to concern
Doctor:You can take your father to any of the medical college hospitals
User:MGM is good for that
Doctor:You need to consult a General Medicine specialist first
Doctor:then they will refer you to the appropriate departments for further testing and confirming the disease
Doctor:MGM is good
User:in vashi
Doctor:I am from Bangalore, I do not have very good idea about the localities in Mumbai
Doctor:You can send a mail to our customer care team about the hospital
Doctor:and they will help you out
User:i am so sacred for my dad
Doctor:Please give me a minute to go through your reports
Doctor:I have seen the report
Doctor:the report is a comprehensive test for HIV 1
Doctor:and it is definitely positive
User:then wat
Doctor:You need to go to the hospital and start treatment
User:please say some good thing
Doctor:Don't be afraid,
Doctor:The disease can be controlled very well with the medicines available
Doctor:and the government gives these medicines free of cost as the medicines are very costly
Doctor:Please take all the reports and see Skin doctor
User:y skin doctor
Doctor:The skin doctors will start the anti-viral treatment as per the government guidelines
Doctor:because HIV is a sexually transmitted disease Skin doctors study that specifically
User:so u mean did we get affetced
Doctor:that is why you should consult a skin doctor and then you can also consult a general medicine doctor if your father has any other problems
Doctor:I can not be sure of that, May I know how old you are?
Doctor:I don't think you are infected with HIV
Doctor:How is your mother?
User:and my sis she is 22 and my bro is 19
User:she is ok
User:who need to do test
Doctor:Okay, I will ask you some personal questions about your mother and father, if you don't mind you can answer me
Doctor:Are your father and mother still sexually active?
Doctor:When did they stop having sex?
Doctor:definitely it is best to get all of you tested
Doctor:but your mother should get tested without fail
User:thanks doctor
Doctor:All the family members should go to the hospital and you should listen to what the counselors tell you
Doctor:You will understand more about this disease there
Doctor:and then get yourself tested
Doctor:after that follow the doctors advice
Doctor:Is there anything else you would like to know?
Doctor:Hello XXXXXXX are you there?
Doctor:Thank you for chatting with me
Doctor:Hi, Welcome back
Doctor:how can I help you?
User:wat test we need to do
Doctor:Some basic blood tests to see how your father is doing
User:other than my fathre
Doctor:like complete blood counts
User:western blot
Doctor:Other than your father, Western blot is good, instead you can go for ELISA as a screening test
User:ELISA detect that
Doctor:If that turns out to be positive then you can confirm it by western blot or other methods
Doctor:Yes, ELISA can detect that
Doctor:Or if you can afford, you can go for PCR
User:wat cost
Doctor:I am not sure about PCR in Mumbai
User:wat in banglore
Doctor:but ELISA will be done free of cost at the VCTC center
User:and cost about elisa
Doctor:PCR may cost anywhere around 10 to 20 thousand per individual
User:is elisa is good
Doctor:If you go to the government hospital all the tests will be done free
User:is that detect everything
Doctor:Yes, ELISA is good
Doctor:It will detect the antibodies to HIV 1 and 2
User:we need to do how many times in years
Doctor:You can do once in six months for two years
User:did any chances of affected
Doctor:after that if it comes negative you can stop it
User:after two years
User:or after first test
User:wat cost of ELISA
Doctor:If you don't have any sexual relationships with a person having HIV you will not get HIV
Doctor:ELISA will be done free in the government hospital
User:only the sexual realtiona can taranfer the HIV
Doctor:In private it will cost you around 500 to 1000 rupees
User:if my mom and dad did not had sex for last one year is there any chance of affected
User:i am recently married
Doctor:Yes, If your dad had got this before 1 year then there is good chance that your mother might also be affected
User:but u told me that its early stage then
Doctor:Sexual intercourse is the major way in which HIV is transmitted from one person to another
User:thanks doctor
User:can we talk tomorrow
Doctor:Thanks for chatting
Doctor:Yes we can chat tomorrow
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor