Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Irritation in eyes, eye exercises - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
Doctor :   hI
User :   hi
User :   i often feel irritation in eyes
Doctor :   ok
User :   also feel pain in eyes
Doctor :   ok
User :   i got them checked but not found any problem
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   since when are you having this prob
User :   since last 2 months
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   do you have frequnt allergy? cold?
User :   no
Doctor :   may i know your age and gender?
User :   my age is 27 i am male
Doctor :   do you have headache ?
User :   yes every alternative days
Doctor :   any complaints of watering eyes or dry eyes
User :   no
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   irritation in the eyes could mean an allergy most often
Doctor :   the most common cause could be exposure to wind, and dust
User :   ok
Doctor :   small dust particles may be causing this irritation
Doctor :   it could also be due to dryness
User :   ok
Doctor :   working for long hours , constant starring at computer also may aggravate it
Doctor :   i would suggest these measures
Doctor :   1. do not stare at the computer screen for long hours
Doctor :   2.make sure you wear glasses when you go out
Doctor :   wear a good UV protection glasses
Doctor :   3. drink lot of fluids and water daily
Doctor :   4.if the irritation is too much you may prefer rinsing your eyes with plain water
Doctor :   do not rub your eyes any time
Doctor :   also make sure you get yourself examined once by an ENT specialist for sinusitis since you have headache as well
Doctor :   are you with me
User :   yes
User :   i am reading
Doctor :   please take frequent breaks and put your eyes away from monitor for at least few minutes
Doctor :   try eye exercises
Doctor :   close your eyes and rotate the eye balls for few seconds
Doctor :   in all directions
Doctor :   you may prefer to use your palm and relax for few mins covering the eye
User :   ok
Doctor :   at night or bed time you may try cotton pads dabbed in cold water and keep it on your eye
Doctor :   this shall remove stress
Doctor :   apart from this , if the doctor says its due to allergy or sinusitis , you may try steam inhalations
Doctor :   did you follow my suggestions ?
User :   how to do the steam inhalations
Doctor :   you can do it at home
Doctor :   you may have to boil water for sometime
Doctor :   and cover your face with a cloth with the vessel underneath
Doctor :   and take steam for every one minute
Doctor :   daily for 5 mins wil help
Doctor :   if not you could by a steamer
Doctor :   it is easily available everywhere
Doctor :   this will help in reducing your headache
User :   do i need to take plain water
Doctor :   you meant for steam inhalations?
User :   yes
Doctor :   yes plain water will do , if you want can ad a drop of eucalyptus oil
User :   ok
Doctor :   if not plain steam is only fine
User :   do you suggest any eye drops
Doctor :   no
Doctor :   i will not do it right away since i have not examined you
Doctor :   you ma see your doctor if this continues for a prescription on it
User :   ok
Doctor :   did i answer your questions ?
User :   yes
Doctor :   are there any more questions for me to help you with ?
User :   yes i have one more question
Doctor :   ok please proceed
User :   my mother's knees pain a lot even when she is not doing any activity
Doctor :   what is her age ?
User :   49 years
Doctor :   is she a diabetic or has high blood pressure?
User :   no
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   may i know her height and weight ?
User :   height is 4.9
Doctor :   ok
User :   we have not checked her weight
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   does she seem over weight ?
User :   no she is normal
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   did she have any history of fall or injury?
User :   no
Doctor :   ok , let me explain it to you
Doctor :   since she is 49
Doctor :   this will be her age of menopause
Doctor :   there are hormonal changes happening in her
Doctor :   and the bone changes are expected
Doctor :   she needs to be right on diet and activity
Doctor :   she has to consume calcium rich food and also go for daily walks
Doctor :   daily activity is compulsory
Doctor :   i would also recommend she gets a routine blood and urine tests done
User :   which food is calcium rich?
Doctor :   and let her see an orthopedicina once to look for any changes
Doctor :   ragi and green leafy vegetables , milk , curds are good sources
User :   ok
Doctor :   get her examined once and get the investigations
Doctor :   also check her blood pressure
User :   we had got her blood and urine checked
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   did you get her calcium and uric acid checked ?
User :   the only problem found was haemoglobin count was low
User :   no
Doctor :   she has anemia
Doctor :   hence she may be having more pain
Doctor :   how much was the hemoglobin
User :   i do not remember but it was little lower than lower boundry
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   ask her to take iron supplements and green leafy vegetables in diet
User :   ok
User :   how do we get calcium and uric acid checked?
Doctor :   you may consult regarding this with orthopedician
Doctor :   if he feels its needed get it done
Doctor :   its a blood test
User :   ok
Doctor :   ok
User :   thanks a lot doctor
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   pleasure here
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me
Doctor :   take care
Doctor :   Bye for now
User :   bye
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor