Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Irregular periods, PCOD, Progesterone pills - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Women's Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
User :   hello doctor
User :   i would actually want to chat with gynaec
Doctor :   Hi I am General Physician I believe I can help you within my expertise.
User :   ok
Doctor :   If required I shall certainly recommend a specialist
Doctor :   Can you please proceed with your query
User :   i have PCOS , and i wanted to know if there is any ways to iradicate it
Doctor :   Ok I shall explain you
Doctor :   Do you have any specific questions about it?
User :   I have irregular period and when i get my periods , i get continuous bleeding for 12 to 15 days
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Were you diagnosed with PCOS by a doctor?
User :   yes
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Let me explain you about it
Doctor :   PCOS is a common condition amongst women with child bearing age
Doctor :   Although a cause for it is unknown
Doctor :   there are certain factors that precipitate its effects
Doctor :   like Improper lifestyle, Overweight, Family History, Genetic predisposition
Doctor :   Now you can heavy bleeding and for more number of days
Doctor :   I suppose you have irregular periods along with prolonged bleeding, IS it?
Doctor :   Are you following me?
User :   yes doctor
Doctor :   Do you have irregular periods?
User :   yes
User :   very irregular once in 2 to 3 months or may be within 45 days
Doctor :   Are you married?
User :   no m not married
Doctor :   What is your weight and height?
User :   weight is 51 . 5.1
Doctor :   Ok, coming to the treatment, it is taken up based on the symptoms
Doctor :   For your the problem is regularizing the periods
Doctor :   and to reduce the flow
User :   yes
Doctor :   Hence your doctor will conduct all the tests and give oral contraceptive pills, initially or Progesterone pills to regulate the periods
Doctor :   These should be taken for min of 3 to 6 months
User :   i have been many doctors previously
User :   and have got that same treatment too
Doctor :   Ok, this is the first step and it failed
Doctor :   Did you continue for 6 months?
User :   yes i did
User :   but there was no difference and my weight was increased by 4 kgs
Doctor :   Was metformin, proper diet and exercise program followed?
User :   wat is metformin doctor ?
User :   m not aware abt this
Doctor :   Ok Hyperinsulin is also proposed to be factor in this
Doctor :   Hence Metformin is also prescribed
Doctor :   Which specialist did yu consult for this problem?
User :   a gnaec
User :   gynaec
User :   but they always said after wedding after thing wud be fine
Doctor :   Ok Actually the problem has gone beyond the expertise of Gynecologist
Doctor :   I think it is time to consult an Endocrinologist
Doctor :   and get the reevaluation
User :   which doctor do i need contact for this
Doctor :   Endocrinologist
Doctor :   Which city are you in?
User :   bangalore
Doctor :   I suggest a consult with an Endocrinologist
Doctor :   Would you want to consult one?
User :   yes
Doctor :   One of our customer care team calls you and refers you to Endocrinologist
Doctor :   Is it fine?
Doctor :   They fix appnt and you can take it from there
User :   i have done my thyroid and other test as suggested by previous doctor
Doctor :   I am also available for a second opinon after you consult with Endocrinologist
User :   ok
User :   and they said my thyroid level was normal
Doctor :   Thyroid is not related to PCOS
Doctor :   they just have to rule thyroid problems
Doctor :   so did they?
User :   yes i know but as i had irregular periods they thought i might have hormonal changes
User :   some hormonal dysfunctioning
Doctor :   PCOD can have hormonal dysfunction
User :   i also taken homeopathy medicines
Doctor :   More androgens can be produced
User :   after going to so many doctors i have actually lost hope of getting well .. just want to take last chance with this ...
Doctor :   So you will be given some antiandrogens after running tests
Doctor :   You are still young, unmarried you should not lose hope
Doctor :   It is just that you are not informed about the disease process and right specialist
Doctor :   Traditionally Gynecologist treat it, but Endocrinologist have a better view about this
User :   is it curable after speaking to getting a treatment from specialist is my question now .. i have almost taken all types medications ...
Doctor :   You have not taken the right medicines yet
User :   ok
Doctor :   Do you have hair / acne on the face?
User :   i dont have hair on the face , but i do get small pimples some time
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   How large are the cysts?\
Doctor :   Did not the doctor consider a surgical method by drilling the cysts?
Doctor :   which can help in improving the symptoms
User :   its in the sonography reports ... i dont have it right now
User :   no they never mentioned about drilling the cyst
User :   can i know more about it
Doctor :   That is a last resort
Doctor :   after medicines would not work
Doctor :   that too many cysts and large cysts present
Doctor :   Hence let us not get into that option now
Doctor :   Just go step by step
User :   ok
Doctor :   Next would be to see an Endo
User :   ok
Doctor :   One of our customer care team shall call you
Doctor :   and fix your appnt
User :   alright
User :   thank u doctor
Doctor :   Hope I answered your queries
Doctor :   Thank you for consulting me
Doctor :   Bye for now
User :   u have been helpful thank u once again bye
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor