Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Irregular period. Have PCOD. On metformin. Need hormonal balance? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 30-May-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2560 Questions
User:i have PCOD
User:Taking metformin tablet and folic acide from last 5 years but not conceived yet
Doctor:How much is your weight?
Doctor:and height?
User:height 165
Doctor:Are your cycles regular?
Doctor:Have you been put on a course of oral contraceptives?
User:will be regular for continuous 3 or 4 months then it will become irregular.
User:means? i didnt understand
Doctor:Actually , PCOD is a condition in which the hormones are deranged
Doctor:Apart from folic acid and metformin, have you received any drugs?
User:yes. omega fatty acid and one more medicin with cromium. not remembering the name
Doctor:Actually , there are several things that can be done still
Doctor:First thing is that we need to make your cycles regular
Doctor:that can be done with oral contraceptives
Doctor:They have hormones which can stabilize the hormone levels in the body
User:since 2008 i am taking these kind of medicine. still its not become regular
Doctor:Second, we can try and induce ovulation
Doctor:But you just said only metformin, folic acid and some nutritional supplement
User:yes. is that not enough?
Doctor:Its not
Doctor:since the treatment is not working, we need to address other things as well
Doctor:I am telling you
Doctor:first thing, correct hormonal imbalance
Doctor:second, we can induce ovulation
Doctor:this can be done with drugs like clomiphene
Doctor:Other options to clomiphene are also available if this doesnt work
Doctor:Then you have surgery as well
Doctor:In this, we burn some part of the abnormal ovarian tissue
Doctor:that helps a lot of women get regular periods
Doctor:Do you follow?
Doctor:You may need to take a second opinion
Doctor:Have hormone levels like Lh, FSH, etc been done for you?
User:yes. one year before. doctor said verything on normal level.
Doctor:Lets do one thing
Doctor:You take a scanned copy of your reports and post a question on ask a specialist
Doctor:We have many infertility specialists
Doctor:You can seek their opinion
Doctor:You definitely need a second opinion and you may have to travel also a little bit to come to a larger centre
Doctor:So you would be guided by that infertility specialist
Doctor:Please ensure you provide all reports and a detailed history
Doctor:I think that is the best way forward
Doctor:Is there anything else I can help you with?
User:no. thanks
Doctor:Does this make you feel better?
Doctor:Good, then.
Doctor:Have a good day
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me
User:thanks. you too.
Question is related to
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor