Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Injury to the shock absorber of the leg - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   I am a 15 year old female that was kicked in the shin during a soccer game in late october right above my shin guard. This was followed by extreme swelling and tenderness. The area bruised but not badly but the swelling did not go down for over a week, it got to a point where just touching it would send the fluid to the other side of my shin. I went to an orthopedist who immediately x-rayed it to find no fractures or cracks. I then went to get an MRI and in explaining the results he basically said that i had "ruptured a shock absorber in my leg" and to take it easy for a few weeks while it healed. Within the month i went back to playing and eventually the swelling did go down, but the tenderness really never went away. I was just hit there again over this past weekend, not nearly as severely but the swelling has returned to some degree. I don't really understand the shock absorber diagnosis, or what to do now. Please explain!
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   Let me read the query.
Doctor :   May I know the exact location of the injury?
Doctor :   Is it located over the knee?
User :   it is located just underneath the knee
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   Were you able to move the knee with out any difficulties?
User :   it is somewhat painful to bend and extend it all the way, but for normal movements no, when putting pressure on it like walking up stairs or jumping, running, or jogging there is some pain
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   There shock absorbers of the lower limbs are basically present located in the joints mainly.
Doctor :   The doctor may have probably mentioned that you may have sustained minor injuries on the joint, around the knee commonly.
User :   well it is very close to the knee and not so much pain, but there was definitely pressure around the joint, nothing to extreme like the tenderness of the swollen area
Doctor :   In that case the best way of treating the condition is be rest, hot water fomentation and analgesics in presence of severe pain.
Doctor :   A physical examination can predict the percentage the joint may be affected and if it can be treated by a medical means or if you would require a surgical cure.
Doctor :   I would suggest you to consult an orthopaedician for evaluation of the severity of the problem
Doctor :   Have you followed what I have suggested?
User :   ok and can you please in lamen's terms describe the hot water fomentation and analegesics
Doctor :   Hot water fomentation refers to use of hot water bags on the affected region.
Doctor :   They are useful in bringing the swelling down.
Doctor :   If you have severe pain or if you find it difficult in moving the joints, and if the tenderness are severe, then use analgesics (pain killers).
Doctor :   You can use tablet Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day after food.
Doctor :   Have you followed now?
Doctor :   Are you there?
Doctor :   Are you there?
Doctor :   I have to close the window as you are not responding. Please chat with our doctors 24/7 for medical queries.
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor