Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Information on HIV-ELISA test - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: HIV and AIDS
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   Hi
Doctor :   Hi
User :   hey i need to know if i need to get an hiv test
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   Please let me know your query.
User :   i had unprotected sex with this girl about 2 weeks ago. maybe less. i have history of having bad panic attacks and i have bad anxiety.. just last wedneday i have had ongoing fevers
Doctor :   Ok.
User :   a little bit of body aches. thats about it. no swollen gland and no other stuff.
Doctor :   Ok.
User :   last night i dident get the fever but i cant live my life like this.
User :   what should i do
Doctor :   First let me assure you one thing , That if you have had an intercourse with HIV + girl , then it would take at least 2 months of incubation period to get HIV + and then AIDS.
Doctor :   If you are having a bout of fever it is surely not due to HIV, but out of fear or anxiety.
Doctor :   So first let me make it clear that this ill - health is not due to HIV.
User :   my grandmother also passed away last week and that kind of puts the icing on the cake
Doctor :   Please do not take in tension.
Doctor :   I shall let you know the protocol that has to be followed to test yourself , if you want to go ahead and screen yourself.
Doctor :   1. HIV - ELISA Test after 2 months of intercourse or possible exposure to HIV+ CASE.
User :   the only problem is. i dont have any health insurance since i turned 21 and thats why i came here to ask u
User :   so i could be sure that these fevers and body aches are anxiety and not an symptoms
Doctor :   2. Second HIV -ELISA Test after 6 months of intercourse or exposure to hiv.
Doctor :   Yes, Absolutely.
User :   so if in about 2 months or so i start having bad symtoms i should go get tested but if i dont then i should be fine?
Doctor :   No I would say that in 2 months you will not have any symptoms .
Doctor :   As once anyone gets infected, it takes a lot of time to develop symptoms -- in some 3m after being positive or even 6m, or sometimes 1 yr.
Doctor :   And hence I would say to get tested is the best way out, I know the constraint you are in without an Insurance, but that is the only way out to get tested.
Doctor :   If both are tested negative then you are quite safe and are negative for HIV.
User :   alright do u know how much those tests range from without insurance
User :   also how long should i wait to get tested
Doctor :   i do not know the exact pricing but there are a few home tests that you can get at 30$ .
Doctor :   But the efficacy is 85% in them.
Doctor :   A lab test would be double that for which you dont need a prescription and you can get it done yourself.
User :   ill just go to my local hospital lab and get it done. i really dont care if its 60 bucks.. when should i get tested
Doctor :   It should be after 2 months after you had an intercourse with the girl you mentioned 2 weeks back. And the second one after 6 months .
Doctor :   Yes , I think you have made the right decision.
Doctor :   It would give you better assurance and credible testing.
Doctor :   Do you have anything else I can help you with ?
User :   um just 1 last question. after hearing everything i had to say what do u think my odds are of having hiv.
Doctor :   Did you have normal sex or anal or anything else ?
User :   normal
Doctor :   In normal sex , there is 0.01% cahnce.
User :   thanks doc
Doctor :   if at all she is positive
Doctor :   if not 0%.
Doctor :   Thank you for ocnsulting me.
Doctor :   take care
Doctor :   bye for noww
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor