Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Infant is having dry cough and cold. Given t-minic but no relief. Suggest? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 06-Aug-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Child Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1559 Questions
User:Hello Sir
User:Its regarding my 7 month old baby
User:for last 2 weeks she is having dry cough and cold...we have givin t-minic but no relief
User:now for last 2 days it seems that she is getting teeth in lower side so motion also increased
Doctor:Is she running fever?
User:no fever
Doctor:Have you consulted a doctor?
User:no i thought t-minic will doc is outside station
User:actually very cold wind is there in hyderabad
Doctor:I understand what you describe.
Doctor:In the absence of fever, the condition is not related to infection.
Doctor:In this case, other conditions that cause cough and cold needs to be ruled out. Those condition can include allergies, bronchospasm, wheezing, etc.
User:so what we can do in this moment as she is getting teeth also
Doctor:The treatment of this condition will depend on the cause. Hence a clinical examination is of ut most important.
User:anything temporary i can do today?
Doctor:Teething is a normal process and usually doesn't cause any serious problem. The cough, cold and stool is definitely not related to teething.
User:i heard that during teething stool frequency will increase
Doctor:I wish to advise you temporary fix, however symptoms of more than 2 week worries me.
Doctor:I would like to rule out lower respiratory problems such as bronchospasm, pneumonitis and so on.
User:please do that
Doctor:Such conditions will need additional bronchodilators along with the current antihistamines to take care of that problem.
User:i will try for 3-4 days...if didnot work then take consultation
Doctor:As these conditions can lead to respiratory distress, it is recommended that you consult a pediatrician at the earliest.
Doctor:I would not recommend you to wait for more time now, since it is already 2 weeks past.
Doctor:I hope you agree with me.
User:then its fine doc....
Doctor:Do you have any other questions?
User:yah..can you help me regarding diabetes questions
Doctor:Sure. Proceed with your questions.
User:last 2 month back i diagnosed sugar with past lunch 600
User:i was taking glyciphage 250 mg and himalaya didnot worked still it was 350
Doctor:Oh. Your sugars are pretty much uncontrolled.
Doctor:May I know your age?
User:another doc recommend me to take glicephage 500mg 3 times and glusegen 30/70 insulin
Doctor:Have you considered using insulin?
User:29year old only
Doctor:Sugars of above 300 is extremely high. Persistently very high sugar can cause unwanted problems and insulin is the better option of treatment.
Doctor:Are you taking insulin now?
User:then i have taken another opinion on healthcare with Doc XXXXXXX and she told me to take glyciphage500 mg 3 times and insulin not rqd
User:i am not taking insulin now....but i am taking glyciphage 500 mg 3 times for last 4 days but it seems that post lunch sugar increased to 450
User:i am totally confused what to do
Doctor:Let me help you XXXXXXX
User:yah please
Doctor:You must be aware that there are two types of diabetes. Type 1 and Type 2. The difference is that the first type there is no insulin production. Insulin resistance is the problem in the second type.
Doctor:Type 1 is much common in young individuals and the treatment of choice is insulin.
Doctor:However we can try oral medications if diabetes is type 2.
User:how i know that it is type1 or type2
User:in our family now body have diabetes
Doctor:But many a times we notice that people who are on medications gradually over a period of time lead to depleted insulin secretions and thus end up with insulin injections.
User:can we come back to oral from insulin if diabetes comes under control?
Doctor:In your case, since you are still young, I cannot by default put you as type 1 or type 2. We require further tests such as serum insulin levels, c-peptide levels and so on to determine the type of diabetes.
Doctor:With this back ground, I shall explain your situation.
Doctor:Since insulin produces better sugar control then oral drugs, and as your sugars are extremely high, I think it would be appropriate to start insulins.
Doctor:Presuming you have type 2 diabetes, there is a chances that your doctor will put you back on oral drugs once the sugar level is controlled with insulin.
User:serum creatinine was 0.9 mg/dl
Doctor:You will also need to know that blood sugar levels can go high in times of stress and infections.
Doctor:You will need to monitor your sugars frequently during such stressful situations and adjust the treatment according to the needs.
Doctor:In short, with sugars going above 300, I think it is better to start on insulin.
User:ok doc thanks for your advice
Doctor:You can try short acting insulin (actrapid) than long acting ones such as the ones you are on now.
Doctor:You can consult a diabetologist and start the insulin therapy (short acting insulin) along with medications.
User:u mean instead of insugen i can ask actrapid
Doctor:Once the sugar levels come under control, a plan to switch you on oral drugs or long acting insulin can be done.
Doctor:Yes, I feel actrapid may be better suited in this case.
User:thank you sir
Doctor:You are welcome.
Doctor:Do you have any other query?
User:no more
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor:Bye for now.
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor