Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

I am diabetic. Is it safe time to plan to have children? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 01-Mar-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Diabetes
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1563 Questions
Doctor:Dr Anvekar here
User:doctor i am XXXXXXX 30year old i i have a query regarding diabeties
Doctor:sure, please proceed
User:doctor i have a 5 year old son and i am planning for a next baby can i suceed in this as somebody is saying diabatic person cannot go for baby
Doctor:no, there is no such thing
Doctor:you can always try for a baby , at this point of time
Doctor:only thing is u should make sure, your diabetes is well controlled
Doctor:and your HBA1C is under 6.0, which will give a good diabetic control
Doctor:and u should change your diabetes treatment to insulin during the period of pregnancy
Doctor:if everything else is normal , then there is no need to worry about anything else
User:doctoer i think there is some confusion i am male not female
Doctor:ok, sorry about that
Doctor:even in that case, it does not matter at all
Doctor:In case of males, whether u are diabetic or not, it does not affect you fathering a child again
Doctor:as long as the sperm count is normal, it should be an issue
Doctor:and the sperm count is not affected, most diabetics
Doctor:only in elderly patients with long term diabetes, like for 20 yrs, they may have erectile dysfunction, due to which they may not be able to have erections and hence, not able to have sex
Doctor:but in younger males, it is not a issue
Doctor:I hope u followed my suggestions
User:yes thanks for your sugeestion and one more thing my eye sight is going down day by day can opt for lesic laser operation
Doctor:it depends on the cause of the decreased eye sight
Doctor:lasers can help if there is any form of refractive errors
Doctor:which are the most common cause
Doctor:You can get your eye examined by a optometrist and a Opthalmologist, who can diagnose the underlying issue
Doctor:once refractive errors, are diagnosed, it can be corrected by laser surgery
User:thanks doctor
Doctor:U r welcome
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor