Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Hypodense mass on the pole of the left kidney,diagnosis - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Kidney Conditions
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   hello is there an MD available? I have used this service once already
Doctor :   Hi,
User :   how are you are you a licenced MD?
Doctor :   I am a General Physician, I believe I can help you within my expertise and If required I shall recommend a specialist
Doctor :   Well doing very fine , thanks for asking
User :   ok i had a recent ultrasound finding a hypodense mass on the pole of my left kidney -- what is this?
User :   1 cm X 2 cm
User :   i have tenderness in my back and morning nausea
Doctor :   Ok, do you have any urinary problems ?
User :   a little more frequent
Doctor :   ok, May i know your age and gender ?
User :   55 year old male
Doctor :   do you have high BP ,Diabetes or high Cholesterol ?
User :   Higer BP-- 130-140 recently
User :   higher
User :   overweight 240 lbs 5 ft 10
Doctor :   ok, Do you get fever often ?
User :   no
Doctor :   ok, the likely possibility of the lesion would be two
Doctor :   one being a Renal cyst and the second probable diagnosis would be renal abcess
User :   what is treatment?
Doctor :   well renal cysts are not an emergency and they disappear over time
User :   is this causing my nausea and tnederness?
User :   tenderness in back?
Doctor :   but the renal abscess has to be confirmed by urine microscopy and culture test
User :   would it cause such symptoms?
Doctor :   tenderness in the back could be caused by either , but will be severe in case of abscess
User :   how is it treated?
User :   how is it treated?
Doctor :   the abscess has to be treated with specific antibiotics given IV , in severe cases the abscess will be drained percutaneously under ultrasound guidance
Doctor :   It seems you have moved out of the chat window. Please log in back if you have medical queries
User :   im b ack
Doctor :   yes, lets proceed
User :   what type of doctor do i see and what do i tell him?
Doctor :   its Nephrologist you have to consult
Doctor :   ask him to rule out one amongst the diagnosis i mentioned
User :   is that a urologist?
Doctor :   no , he is different
User :   would CT SCAN be needed?
Doctor :   urologist is a surgeon where as nephrologist will be more considered about the functioning of the kidney and treat conservatively
Doctor :   if the condition untreatable by medicines then he may refer to the urologuist
User :   any radiology study?
Doctor :   yes, an CT scan with contrast may be needed for better study
User :   ok so i will consolut nephrologist thanks
Doctor :   you are welcome
Doctor :  
Thanks for consulting me , kindly provide your feedback
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor