Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Hypochondriac or heightened illness concern - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Mental Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
Yes I think I am a hypercondriac and I really wanna get help because it's causing me to have very random thoughts and I'm becoming very afraid of myself
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hello
Doctor :   I am Dr
Doctor :   How can I help you ?
User :   I'm trying to find help I believe I am a hypercondriac and I'm afraid that it's taking over my life I wanted to know who or where should I start to get help from
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Not to worry.
User :   I can't help but worry I'm thinking of doing things that at the age of 22 I should not b thinking
Doctor :   In today's world this phenomenon has increased a lot in almost every individual and is no more regarded as a huge psychiatric problem.
User :   So what should I do
Doctor :   Could you please let me know what exact thoughts you keep coming across ?
User :   I mean it's really starting to scare me as far as I don't wanna be around anyone
Doctor :   Ok
User :   I have thoughts of hurting my self as well as others lie I even started doing things repeatly to try n keep me from doing wrong things
Doctor :   If you have thoughts like hurting yourself , it is not called as Hypochondriac
User :   I feel so alone
User :   Not trying to kill myself I'm talking bout just causing pain
User :   Causing pain so that I feel human
Doctor :   If you keep doing things repeatedly , I do agree it can Be OCD.
Doctor :   And Hypo/Cyberchondriac is one form of OCD.
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   I can understand your problem.
User :   I thought that to but it's like everything that I hear symptoms of sum thing I think I have it
Doctor :   Ok
User :   What kind of doctor should I go see to help me with this problem
Doctor :   I would first congratulate you
User :   Congratulate me for what
Doctor :   As to most of the people dont accept or recognize that they have a problem and here you are who have seen a problem in yourself and want to get proper treatment for that.
Doctor :   So dont worry, I feel half your problem gets solved once this has been done.
Doctor :   Now for the treatment part : User :   Yea well I just can't live lik this anymore I feel like an outsider like I don't fit in anywhere
User :   So who do I go to for treatment
Doctor :   1. You need to see A Neuro Psychiatrist for this,
Doctor :   I would also like to know a few more details from your good self.
User :   Well I'm in and I have a full time job so it will be hard do you have contact information
User :   What kind of detail would that be
Doctor :   1. About your family , do you live alone or do you have a family ?
Doctor :   2. How about your friends , do you have any, how do you spend time with them ?
User :   I stay with my mom and dad but I'm in the attic
Doctor :   Ok
User :   No I don't have any friends I'm afraid of being hurt or hurting someone else Im a people pleaser and people tend to take advantage of me
Doctor :   It would be nice if you spend time with your parents and friends and please let them know about your problem and ask them to support you emotionally.
Doctor :   'heightened illness concern' is your problem and not hypochondriac
Doctor :   So please dont scare yourself and anyone , it is a very small problem and can be cured very easily.
User :   I tried but they don't believe me they just think I'm weird
Doctor :   No.You are not.
Doctor :   You are absolutely fine
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor