Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

How to treat redness in the eyes? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 11-Sep-2014
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
Please proceed with your query
User:i have redness in my eyes
User:and my eyes are yellowish most of the times
User:is there something i need to worry
Doctor:Some individuals have redness and yellowish tinge to the eye. It is not alarming.
Doctor:However if you feel it is unusually red/yellow
Doctor:please get it checked by a doctor.
User:ok one more thing
User:last time when i checked my rbc count
User:it was at 17.5
Doctor:A physical examination is very much necessary to confirm redness/yellowish discoloration.
User:do you think it got something to do with that
Doctor:I am not sure if that was the RBC count you are mentioning?
Doctor:Can you confirm?
User:yes rbc was at 17.5
User:i mean sorry heamoglabin at 17.5
Doctor:RBC count is measured in XXXXXXX as millioncells/cumm
User:and rbc at 60
Doctor:Reference limit is 4.5 to 5.5 million cells/cumm.
User:i was at 6.0
Doctor:It makes sense now.
Doctor:Yes, you have raised red blood counts with high hemoglobin.
User:but the doctor i met said its normal
Doctor:However I don't think it is related to redness and yellow tinge.
User:ok one more question doctor
User:i m having sleep issues i guess, i,m not able to sleep properly
User:and im thinking the redness and the yellow tinge is because of that
User:but another doubt that creeped into my mind is that bilrubbin is a by product of rbc
Doctor:Eye strain can explain the redness. But not the yellow tinge.
User:and due to my rbc count my bilrubbin levels might get increased
User:and so its showing up in my eyes
User:is that could be it
Doctor:Like I said earlier yellow discoloration is normally seen in many individuals.
Doctor:Further some individuals have fatty deposit known as xanthelasma
Doctor:it also gives an yellow tinge to the eye.
Doctor:A doctor can be able to differentiate these conditions.
Doctor:Through good clinical examination.
Doctor:Therefore my suggestion to see a doctor.
Doctor:Hope I am clear to you.
Doctor:Do you have any more queries?
User:so redness in my eye got nothing to do with my rbc count right
Doctor:Polycythemia is most often asymptomatic. Further since you are not sleeping well
Doctor:we can have other reasons to explain the redness.
Doctor:hence I wouldn't consider rbc count to be the cause now.
Doctor:Do see an ophthalmologist and get your doubts cleared as well as start treatment (if necessary).
Doctor:Did you follow what I said? Can you summarize our discussion?
User:yes sir
User:thank you so much
User:ill talk to you later incase if i have any further questions
Doctor:Thanks for visiting me here. Bye for now.
Question is related to
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor