Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

How to overcome fear in childhood? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 14-Dec-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Child Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
User:I have 9 years old son. he felt some fear at school how can i help him to remove his fear
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:I have 9 years old son. he felt some fear at school how can i help him to remove his fear
User:R u there
Doctor:Generally a child overgrows
Doctor:this kind of fear.
Doctor:You do not need any kind of special treatment
Doctor:expect to talk to him
Doctor:find out what is threatening him.
User:yes I did already
Doctor:You may also speak to him teachers and friends and understand if he is harmed already.
User:I would like to share some past instance with u
Doctor:If there is repeated fears, his physical activity and study is affected
Doctor:you may take him to a counsellor.
User:no it is not happen
User:he is very good in study
Doctor:On other thoughts, some schools have their own student counsellor
Doctor:they may help him over come this problem
User:and physical activity
User:as a mom how can i help him
Doctor:As I said earlier, there can be trivial things that can cause fear in the mind of children.
Doctor:Usually with time, they over grow it.
Doctor:If you feel the fear is growing in him for long duration of time,
Doctor:you will need to bring out his fear to be able to solve it.
Doctor:You may take help of a counsellor. There are specialist Pediatric psychiatrist or counsellors at school
Doctor:who can be able to get to the root of this problem
Doctor:and solve it.
Doctor:You can take their help.
User:will definately check in his school
User:but should i also do something at home
Doctor:Yes, talk to his teachers and you will be able to find out the real problem.
User:he even did not go to other room alone
User:actually some of his class mets saying bludy marry is in washroom
User:and then he felt fear
Doctor:As I said earlier, if this fear is growing consistently, you can take him to a counsellor and talk to him. But I prefer
Doctor:you to talk to him. You may use religious beliefs to bring out the fear out of him.
Doctor:Show him that there is nothing called "bloody Mary"
Doctor:If needed, you can stay with him through his routine.
Doctor:And offcourse, talk to his teachers at the school.
Doctor:Have you followed?
User:he itself told his teacher as he is class monitor
User:teacher said last year students also saying the same thing
Doctor:If that is the case, I think you can give it time.
User:this is not the solution
Doctor:Encourage him and make him optimistic.
User:i really feel help less in this case sir
User:any other idea or solution for this type of issue
User:may be i am over react for this small issue
Doctor:I think at this point of time, it is necessary to read the child's mind set.
Doctor:May be your over concerned, or may be he really has the fear.
User:he did not discussed many thing with us
Doctor:It wouldn't be extremely hard to treat him, reading your queries.
Doctor:If you feel he is really worried by these instant, it is necessary that an expert talks to him
User:not talketive boy
Doctor:Do not worry about his behaviour.
Doctor:There are professionals who can be able to dig out his fear.
User:if he did not talk how can we understand his probs and issue
Doctor:A child psychatrist or any other clinical psychologist can be able to talk to him
Doctor:and understand his problem
Doctor:and provide you the solution.
Doctor:Have you followed?
User:last time we discussed with one child cycologist
User:he said do not take him for any discussion
User:that's effect child mind - ve
User:so we did not go
Doctor:As a Physician, I do not know the reason for his decision. However if a fear is really troubling him and affecting him, if it doesn't improve
Doctor:then I don't feel there is a harm in one or two sessions.
Doctor:May be you can talk about this issue with the same counsellor
Doctor:and take his views.
Doctor:If he has already talked to him
User:do we have some books or some docs to understand child mind
Doctor:he will be able to provide the next option of treatment.
Doctor:As a parent, I believe the more time you spend with your child is the best way to understand his mind.
User:as i am a working lady
Doctor:you can read books on parenting.
User:as i am a working lady it's lil difficult to spent more time with him
Doctor:They can help you how to help your child grow even if you are working lady.
User:or this is for alone child probs
Doctor:I am sorry, can you rephrase your last statement.
User:i mean to say these type of issue cause as my child is alone son of mine
Doctor:Before I answer this question, I would have to say that without talking to your son
Doctor:it is really difficult for me to understand what exactly the problem is.
Doctor:Without knowing the real problem what your son is facing
Doctor:it would be extremely hard to tell you if this is because of a lone son.
User:Sir can we arrange a concall between you and my son?
Doctor:I would only encourage you to spare some time and use good parenting skills to understand him first.
Doctor:A pediatric counsellor would be the right person to talk to him. If you feel he is really troubled,
Doctor:please talk to the doctor who had met him earlier.
User:we did not met any doctor that time
Doctor:He can be able to say if there is a relation between his earlier problem and the current one.
User:we just discussed on phone
Doctor:I think you need to talk to a child pychiatrist again
Doctor:you can describe his problems again.
Doctor:May be the same doctor.
Doctor:if needed you can take him personally to him and get this issue solved.
User:ok sir
User:thanks for your valuable time
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor:Bye for now.
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor