Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

How to control uric acid levels? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 30-May-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Digestion and Bowels
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
User:hello doctor, how to control Uric acid levels?
Doctor:Dr XXXXXXX here
User:Other day, I had some Pork from a chinese restaurent
User:and next day I suffered due to this
User:happens even when I have beer
Doctor:Do you mean your uric acid levels went up?
User:good morning Doctor
Doctor:Have you checked the levels?
User:I had a chat with a doc and he told me this may be due to uric acid level going up
Doctor:Let me brief you.
Doctor:It is true that uric acid levels can increase with increase consumption of proteins.
Doctor:However many individuals with hyperuricemia are usually asymptomatic.
User:so no symptoms?
Doctor:If you have developed any symptoms such as joint pains, kidney pains, difficulty to pass urine, blood in urine
Doctor:you would need to do some tests that include serum uric acid levels.
Doctor:If high uric acid level is confirmed on test
User:i do get joint pains, none of the other...
Doctor:we can control it by means of drugs.
Doctor:Common medication that is used is allopurinol.
Doctor:Other drugs like probenecid can be used in treating high uric acid levels.
User:for me this happens only when I have beer or when I eat pork
User:i am perfectly normal and in perfect shape, cycle to work etc.
Doctor:I understand your concern and as discussed gout / high uric acid may be a cause.
Doctor:However this needs to be confirmed with tests before starting the treatment.
Doctor:So it would be ideal to get the serum uric acid levels tested.
User:any over the counter drug I can take?
Doctor:We can initiate treatment through your local doctor after reviewing the report.
User:it just lasts a day
Doctor:You can try over the counter pain killers during acute painful situation.
User:if untreated will it lead to any complication?
Doctor:Uricosuric drugs are suggested upon confirmation.
Doctor:As I mentioned most often high uric acids is associated with no symptoms.
Doctor:A few develop gout (swollen joints with pain).
Doctor:and renal problems.
Doctor:The condition usually is short lived and disappear with time and treatment.
User:ok doctor, so pain killer can be crocin pain relief?
Doctor:Rarely such conditions can become chronic which can interfere with activities.
Doctor:Yes. you can try crocin pain relief during acute pain
Doctor:and get the blood test done.
Doctor:Have you followed what I suggested?
User:yes I did
Doctor:Do you have any other query?
User:none doc, you answered... only one thing, can I get the name of some low intensity drug which I can take other than pain killer?
Doctor:Treatment of high uric acid levels consists of 2 things
Doctor:1. Treating the symptoms.
Doctor:The pain killers can take care of it.
Doctor:They are given as per the needs of the patient
User:ok doc, thats it. Thanks a lot, have a good day and bye for now
Doctor:2. Controlling the levels. It is necessary that you know your levels before commencing on the medications
Doctor:Hence do get the levels before starting on any uricosuric drugs.
User:ok doctor
Doctor:Hope it is clear.
Doctor:Do you have any other query?
User:yes, it is, thanks a ton
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor:Bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor