Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

How long can contraceptive pills be taken for treatment of PCOD? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 16-Oct-2014
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Women's Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 106 Questions
User:Hello Doctor,
User:i recently took my wife to a gynecologist and she suggested we get her thyroid tests and a scan for poly cystic ovaries for weight issues done. On doing that, her thyroid tests came out normal but was diagnosed with poly cystic ovaries. The doctors advised that she take the contraceptive pills XXXXXXX for six months to deal with the problem. The concern is if she should take those pills for so long with all the possible side effects.
User:i am attaching report
Doctor:Is there any problem in attaching the report?
Doctor:Are you there?
User:it is uploading, net connection is bit slow
Doctor:no problem
Doctor:Lets discuss the issue till the report gets uploaded.
Doctor:PCOD is due to hormonal imbalance.
Doctor:during ovulation due to lack of hormone there is difficulty in ova release.
Doctor:this leads to formation of the cyst
Doctor:The pills the doctor has prescribed is regular contraceptive pills which will regularize the hormonal cycle.
Doctor:The side effects would be weight gain, acne, thrombosis and irregular menstrual cycles.
Doctor:I feel as you are not planning currently thats the doctor has prescribed you these pills.
Doctor:Is there any other concerns you wish to discuss with me?
User:As my wife has gained lot of wait in last two year around 10+ kg she has gained
User:so sh should not take these pills ?
Doctor:Here the weight is due to PCOD and if she doesn take pills she wont be able to normalise the hormones.
Doctor:For this she has to follow regular physical exercises.
Doctor:along with diet restriction.
User:i am uploading the report and FYI cyst are very small.. in the report you will be able to see
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor