Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

High BUN and creatinine levels - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Kidney Conditions
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
User :   dear doctor - wanted to consult a nephrologist for my mother's report
Doctor :   Please proceed with your query
User :   She is known diabetic and is a multi complication patient...
Doctor :   Do you want to know some nephrologist in your area?
Doctor :   May i know her age?
User :   no - i wanted to seek opinion on email from a nephro
User :   she is 67
Doctor :   I am a General Physician and will try to help you to my expertise.
Doctor :   Since when is she diabetic?
User :   around 16 yrs or so...
User :   last 15 days her BUN and serum creatinine were raised
Doctor :   Ok what other problems does she have?
User :   ie BUN was 42 and serum creatinine was 2.75
Doctor :   Is this the first time her BUN and creatinine is raised
Doctor :   Is her sugar under control?
User :   this was maybe due to fever she had then...
User :   sugar is managed and she has bouts of hypo / hyper on and off and we adjust insulin accordingly...
Doctor :   BUN is a measure of the urea level in blood. Urea is cleared by the kidney. Diseases that compromise the function of the kidney lead to an increased BUN.
Doctor :   Why were the BUN and creatinine tests done? Were there any symptoms like swelling, pain or any problem in urination?
Doctor :   Are you there?
User :   yes...
User :   it was a routine renal profile done
Doctor :   Ok
User :   and yes she does have swelling which is managed by frusenex 100 mg a day
Doctor :   I will suggest you to get her examined by a nephrologist and also have some of her investigations as USG to see the kidneys.
User :   there was an option available on this site on consulting specialist via email , is this still available ?
Doctor :   Yes you can request for it
User :   is it there on the home page ?
Doctor :   Yes it is on the home page.
Doctor :   And you can place a request for it.
User :   thanks dr XXXXX
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor