Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Heart problem, arteries blocked. What should i go for bypass or ECP? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 19-Mar-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2582 Questions
User:my mothe-in-law have hearth problem, during angyoplasti doc found that all there arthries have blockage of 75-80%
User:and suggest for Bipass.
User:i have asked some of my friends and they told me bipass is a having very low sucess % retio.
User:so iam searching for some more options avalible..
User:i have heared about EPC .. can you please advise...
User:External Counter pulsation (ECP)
Doctor:ECP is not a option, in such cases
Doctor:for your information, Bypass surgery is done in a lot of patients , with blocks in the artery
Doctor:but the prognosis, is good, when the patient is healthy and does not have major issues like diabetes, renal problems, obesity etc
User:can you please suggest why ECP is not a good option ?
Doctor:External counterpulsation therapy (ECP) is a procedure performed on individuals with angina or heart failure or cardiomyopathy in order to diminish their symptoms ischemia, improve functional capacity and quality of life.
Doctor:this is a procedure, which is done in bed ridden patients , and who need prolonged hospitalisation
Doctor:and it is done in a Cardiac ICU
Doctor:it cannot be used as a alternative to Bypass surgery
Doctor:after a bypass surgery, recovery takes a few months, and the patients can be discharged home in about 15 days time
Doctor:but, pts cannot be mobile, and it is not a continuous therapy, it is done only until the heart heals and regains its function
Doctor:have u followed my suggestions
Doctor:In addition, ECP is usually adviced , when patients cannot undergo balloon angioplasty or bypass surgery
Doctor:but in your mothers case, in case she is considered fit for a bypass procedure, she should undergo that
Doctor:as that will improve her quality of life, and also prevent symptoms totally
User:ok thanks
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor