Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Having vaginal itching.Took medication but no relief. Suggest the permanent cure? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Sep-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User:hi dr
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:i am having a vaginal itching from past 2-3 months
User:visited to gyna for 4-5 times
User:while taking the medication it is ok
User:'after that same problem is coming back
User:can u pls suggest some permanent solution
Doctor:May I what medication was suggested to you?
User:yesterday she suggested
User:doxy for 14 days
User:with metrogyl
User:and candid supplyment
User:for 3 days
User:previously she has given onabet
Doctor:Do you have any other symptom along with itching such as vaginal discharge, pain during passing urine?
User:is there any permanent solution
Doctor:What type of discharge do you have - can you specify the amount (how many pads you need to use), color, consistency (thick / thin), presence of foul smell?
User:white discharge
User:i am using ovral-L
User:period is normal but there is a smell
Doctor:You seem to be having an infection. The type of discharge can help us confirm that.
User:white discharge i am using ovral-L period is normal but there is a smell
User:in discharge
Doctor:Are you getting this discharge every day or once in a while with periods?
User:everyday now
Doctor:If you are using pads for this discharge, may I know how many pads you use in a day?
User:not using
Doctor:Is the discharge thick in consistency or watery?
User:bit thich
Doctor:Are you facing any problem while passing urine?
Doctor:May I know your age and are you sexually active?
User:yes i am married from 3 yrs
Doctor:Let me brief you.
Doctor:Based on your symptom, you seem to be having vaginal infection.
Doctor:If this infection is persisting for 2-3 months, it needs to be investigated.
User:what can be done?
Doctor:The cause for persistent infection could either be inappropriate treatment or being sexually active.
User:what should i di sir?
User:what should i do?
Doctor:What I usually recommend my patient is to undergo tests on vaginal secretions - microscopy, gram staining and culture can be done to isolate the organism.
Doctor:Besides this testing, I also advice you to restrict sexual intercourse untill you feel better.
User:is the test are painful?
Doctor:Your partner also needs to be checked for infection. He can get this infection back to you if he has infection too.
User:where it can be done?
User:is the test are painful?
Doctor:I would answer all your queries.
Doctor:But I would like to inform you the complete set of things that needs to be done...
Doctor:So you will need four things.
Doctor:1. Test on yourself. You can discuss with your gynecologist or may be visit another one get specific tests done. She can take a swab sample while examining and order specific test - microscopy, gram stain and culture.
Doctor:Besides studying the secretions, the doctor can also order your blood sugar to see if they are normal.
Doctor:2. Start appropriate and complete treatment. Based on the results of the test specific antibiotic therapy can be started. You may need to continue antibiotic for 7-10 days.
Doctor:3. Restrict sexual intercourse - refrain from all sexual intercourse until the symptoms have settled. If you are active sexually practice protected intercourse using condoms only.
Doctor:Drink plenty of fluids to improve hydration.
Doctor:4. Lastly it is essential that your partner is also tested. He may be having the infection and transmitting to you once you are cured. Thus giving rise to recurring infection.
Doctor:If he has infection, he needs to be treated with antibiotic as well.
Doctor:Have you followed?
User:but he is not at all feeling any itching
Doctor:Infection in early stages can have no symptoms. We do see couples without symptoms being infected. So let a doctor examine him and accordingly order/rule out infection.
User:is the test painful?
Doctor:I would recommend that especially if you the symptoms are recurring after treatment.
User:anything serious?
Doctor:The tests are not painful - it will involve blood test and samples can be taken through per vaginal examination or per speculum examination.
Doctor:I don't find any serious reasons yet. Testing can confirm it.
Doctor:You should also discuss about contraceptive pill induced irritation if all the tests come negative.
User:thank you so much dr for your valuable time and feedback
Doctor:Ovral L in some women is responsible for vaginal secretions and this increased secretion by itself may be causing irritation and itching.
Doctor:Hope I have cleared all your concerns.
Doctor:Do you have any other query?
User:but i am taking it for past 2.5 yrs
User:there were no problem
User:it has been started from 3 ,mnths
Doctor:That's why I kept that as the last possibility. If all the test come normal and the current antibiotic treatment fail to resolve this problem
Doctor:then you can discuss with your gynecologist and act accordingly.
User:thank you so much
Doctor:Do you have any other query?
User:last one question
User:can you suggest me any good gynocologist
Doctor:Which part of India are you from?
Doctor:Where in Bangalore?
User:electronic city
Doctor:To all my patients I suggest them to visit multispecialty hospital or better medical college associated hospitals for better treatment.
User:thank you
Doctor:If St. John's hospital is approachable, then you can visit this place.
User:yes it is near my office
Doctor:If you stay far away, then I shall mail you list of gynecologist close by.
User:if possible mail me
Doctor:If St. John's is nearby, you can visit the department of gynecologist there. I am sure you will be able to find the best gynecologist.
User:thank you for your time
Doctor:I would mail you the other gynecologist details too.
User:ok i will visit there
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor:Bye for now.
User:nice to talk to you
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor