Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Having slight ear ache in my right ear. What could be the issue? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 26-Mar-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
Doctor:Good morning
User:This is XXXXXXX here. i am having a slight ear ache in my right ear since morning ...
User:in a year i get this problem atleast 2 times
User:The last time i visited an ENT he told me not to use XXXXXXX cotton buds and i stopped a year ago
Doctor:Do you have any other associated symptoms like nasal congestion, sorethroat, fever?
Doctor:Is there any discharge from your ear?
Doctor:Do you have any difficulties with hearing?
User:no doctor
User:no cold fever sore throat nothing
Doctor:Any discharge from your ears ?
User:i do not use ear phones , ear buds, walkman , ipos ear phones. nothing but still i get this ear ache twice a year
User:no discharge... but it felt clogged so i used a cotton bud day before to clean the exteriors and it was a regular clean up no unusual discharges
Doctor:Is there any problem with hearing?
User:no doctor i can hear well.
Doctor:let me brief you.
User:but when i touch my ear lobe also it pains
Doctor:I shall help you.
Doctor:Ear pain is caused due to ear pathologies or can be referred from other nose, throat pathologies.
Doctor:Based on the information, you provided, it looks like the problem is in the external ear.
Doctor:The most likely cause might be ear wax.
User:Yes sometimes i have a hard time with my ear due to the wax
Doctor:or due to some local injuries sustained by the ear bud.
Doctor:The following measures can reduce the pain:
Doctor:1. If the pain is tolerable, you can try oral pain reliever such as Tab. Dolo 650mg.
Doctor:In addition otogesic ear drops can provide additional benefits.
Doctor:2. Avoid probing your ear further.
Doctor:3. If you still feel clogging in the ear, there could be some wax collected which can be removed by use of wax dissolving agents.
User:One doctor 2 years ago said i need a minor procedure to remove the wax which i didnt agree to coz i have heard some people have gone deaf after that procedure.
User:Can you please help me with the names of Wax dissolving agents'
Doctor:we can use soliwax ear drops to help dissolving the wax and safe removal.
Doctor:However rarely, this wax can be impacted and can be removed only by manual procedures.
Doctor:Yes, there is a risk of injuries with manual removal
Doctor:but as this is a simple procedure, in the hands of an experienced ENT surgeon
Doctor:one can easily perform the procedure with minimal risks to ear.
Doctor:You can try the ear dissolving solution,
Doctor:if they do not help in clearing your ear, then I suggest you to consult an experienced ENT surgeon.
Doctor:4. Lastly
Doctor:watch out for few symptoms such as ear discharge, difficulty with hearing, nasal; congestion, throat pain, sorethroat and fever.
Doctor:If such symptoms appear, then it warrants use of antibiotic and specific treatment.
Doctor:So look out for those and take medical help as and when required.
Doctor:Have you followed what I have suggested?
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor