Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Having headache, it feels like a severe bang in skull. What could be the cause? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 25-Jul-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Headache and Migraines
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 106 Questions
Doctor:Please go ahead
User:doctor am having headache since past few months, it feels like a severe bang in my skull at times specifically on to the right side, and during this time if i try to close my right eye a little harder with my finger it gives me severe pain in my head
User:doctor what may be the possible reason for this
Doctor:It seems that you may be having raised intracranial pressure for some reason
User:what does that mean doctor
Doctor:It means that the pressure inside the head seems to be high
Doctor:The cause is still not clear
User:so what do you suggest doctor
User:i have sinus
Doctor:I think you should go for at least a ct scan of the head to start with
User:where do i get it done please suggest and also which doctor and hospital you would refer
Doctor:Your doctor may want to include the sinuses in the scan
Doctor:You may go to neurologist
Doctor:You may go to any reputed hospital - maybe the one your insurance covers
User:any neurologist that you may refer
Doctor:Actually our customer care team will be able to advise you about specialist
User:sure doctor can you please explain me in detail about intracranial pressure
User:and in the mean time till i get it checked what should i do
Doctor:Intracranial pressure may be increased for several reasons
Doctor:The skull is a hard structure
Doctor:Brain inside is floating
Doctor:For some cause for example a swelling inside the head the brain needs more space
Doctor:But the skull is unable to expand
Doctor:Thus it results in increase in intracranial pressure
Doctor:This should be ruled out in your case
User:what should be ruled out doctor
Doctor:Any cause for the raised pressure
Doctor:Also tell me if you have any other symptoms
User:what causes doctor u r saying
Doctor:apart from headache that gets worse on pressing the eye
Doctor:There can be many causes
Doctor:A swelling inside the head
Doctor:A raised blood pressure can cause it
User:anything else
Doctor:An iunfection spreading inside head can cause it
Doctor:A blockage of CSF flow can cause it
User:csf flow means
Doctor:A thrombosis of veins can cause it
Doctor:CSF is a fluid covering the brain
Doctor:It keeps flowing in and out of head
Doctor:If outflow is blocked, then it may accumulate
User:doctor is there something to worry about right now
Doctor:I really need to know the cause to reassure you or tell the prognosis
User:what has to be done to control it
Doctor:I suggest that first you get tested
User:sure doctor
Doctor:Till then take low salt diet
Doctor:Take appropriate pain-killers
User:which pain killer will u suggest
Doctor:It depends on the severity of pain
Doctor:Brufen works for mild to moderate headache
Doctor:200 mg 3 times a day it can be taken
User:but doctor do you think sinus may also be the reason for headache, i have mild sinus
Doctor:Sinus usually causes localised pain
User:localised pain means
Doctor:Sometimes the pain may be in whole of head
Doctor:Localised mean at one particular place near the infected sinus
User:means close to the nose doctor
Doctor:It depends on the sinus infected
User:no i dont have that much i have headache
Doctor:There are many sinuses in the head
User:so first thing is getting tested and meeting a neurologist
Doctor:I suggest that you take his opinion about it
User:but on the symptoms that i said do you think it will be intracarnial pressure
Doctor:Pressing the eye is suggestive of it
Doctor:Pressing the eye may also cause sinus headache but it will be localised
User:ok thanks a ton doctor thanks for your suggestion
Doctor:Thanks for coming on chat
User:doctor are you a neurologist
User:ok thanks doctor XXXXXXX
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor