Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Having back ache and numbness in knee. What could it be? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 01-Dec-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Back Pain
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:i am facing back ache problems last two year what should i do
Doctor:Please describe the pain in details?
Doctor:And specify your age and gender.
Doctor:I would be able to understand the problem and give you good suggestions only if you can provide a detailed account of your problem.
User:age 42, male, the problem is when i seat on the chair i feel uncomfortable at lower and middle back..
User:also feeling numness at my right knee and thigh
Doctor:Can you grade the intensity of pain on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most severe pain you ever had)?
Doctor:Is the pain constant in nature or seen only when you sit down?
User:for back ache i will grade it 6 and for numness 7, the pain feels after two hrs table job and more pain in second half..
Doctor:Is it relieved on rest?
Doctor:Are you able to walk normally?
User:yes relieved on rest and i could walk normally... daily 30 minutes..
Doctor:Do you notice difficulties while passing stool or urine?
Doctor:May I know your current height and weight?
Doctor:And if you have any medical illness such as diabetes, high blood pressure, thyroid illness?
User:172 cm and weight 69
Doctor:And do you smoker or consume alcohol?
User:no medical illness
User:occasional smoking and once in week alcohol, some time pan
Doctor:Let me brief you now.
Doctor:The pain that you describe seems more like an mechanical pain
Doctor:due to prolonged sitting and improper ergonomics.
Doctor:However as you also reported numbness on one side of the limb
Doctor:it becomes important for us to exclude degenerative changes compressing some of spinal nerves.
Doctor:Though other causes of numbness such as vitamin deficiency or systemic illness could be co-existing with mechanical pain.
Doctor:Are you following?
Doctor:Therefore I would recommend that you get atleast X-ray of the back if not MRI scan done.
Doctor:X-ray can be taken on the lower back in erect position or as directed by an orthopedician
User:what is vitamin deficiency or systemic illness could be co exist
Doctor:If the radiological investigations reveal no significant abnormality, you will need to correct siting posture and practice proper ergonomics for long term control of pain.
Doctor:Vitamin D and vitamin B12 are common nutritional deficency that could be responsible for numbness.
User:X-ray and MRI done two year back, no abnormality seen except degenerative changes
Doctor:Besides that anemia, hormonal deficiency and others could also produce similar symptoms.
Doctor:X-rays taken 2 years ago will not reveal the current problems, especially when the pain and other symptoms have appeared significantly for the last 2 years only.
Doctor:Degenerative changes can get worse sooner if proper measures aren't taken in time.
Doctor:Therefore it would be better to get them repeated.
Doctor:You can consult an orthopedician to write for the best possible radiological investigations instead of getting both X-rays and MRI scan unnecessarily.
Doctor:Have you followed?
User:i do regular blood test by six monthly, HB is normal, noticed deficicney of D and B12
User:calcium was also noticed at border level
Doctor:As I described earlier, vitamin deficiency may be co-existing factors; but before we exclude spinal conditions, i cannot label that these deficiency are responsible for your complaints.
Doctor:Therefore it is essential that you get the radiological tests done again with the permission from your orthopedician.
Doctor:Hope the picture is clear to you.
User:how to improve D and B12
Doctor:Vitamin D and B12 can be corrected with improved nutrition or with supplements. However it is futile to correct something that was 6 months old.
Doctor:Therefore do not look to correct treat reports that are old.
Doctor:Look at your current problem. You have back pain
Doctor:and numbness.
Doctor:They may be related to the old reports; but it can be completely a different issue too.
Doctor:So look forward... Plan the tests/treatment for the the current problem.
Doctor:Have you followed?
User:i will get the investigation done (x-ray)
Doctor:It would be better if you can consult an orthopedician to corelate X-ray finding and order for more tests if needed to get to the root of the problem.
Doctor:Treatment will be accordingly based on the findings.
Doctor:Hope it is clear to you.
Doctor:Do you have any questions?
User:my vitamin defidency test are one month old
Doctor:If it was a month old, can I know the numbers/values?
User:HB - 15.9, Calcium - 8.8, Sugar Fasting 103. S Cholestrol 182, LDL Cholestrol 90.6
Doctor:I guess you have total calcium which is slightly low. The others seem fine...
Doctor:What other reports do you wish to discuss?
User:what should i do for icreasing calcium and B12
Doctor:I don't see your B12 values here.
Doctor:Calcium deficiency can be due to nutritional cause or vitamin D deficiency.
User:B12 values do not have right with me but are at border level..
Doctor:Any way, there are calcium supplements such as omnical which you can take; besides adding calcium rich diet such as cereals, green vegetables, milk and milk products, all types of grams, lentils and so on.
User:thank for the information and advise...
Doctor:B12 are rich in non vegetarian diet. If you are pure vegetarian then cereals, green leaves, mushroom, spinach, potato, corn are few vitamin b12 rich products.
Doctor:Hope I answered all your questions.
Doctor:Do you have any other questions.
User:no thanks
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor:Bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor