Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Have flat feet. Recommended surgery. Can I alter my foot wear? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 30-May-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Growth and Development in Children
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1563 Questions
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:actually i had one query... i have flat feet
User:is it ok if i just get the arch fitted on my chappals / shoes
User:or do i need to specially visit any doc
Doctor:Flat feet is a developmental change. It can be rectified by surgery, however just simple measures such as personalised foot wear would solve most of the problem if you have pain.
Doctor:I would suggest you to go on with the foot wear.
Doctor:If you do not find any improvement with it, then
Doctor:you can consider visiting an orthopedician.
User:ok ... also my son who is 5 ys old has flat feet
Doctor:Have you followed what I suggested?
User:shud i take him to an orthopedic
User:i get pain in my knees if i dont were footwear with arch
Doctor:May I know if it is confirmed that you and your son have flat feet.
User:it is confirmed with me that i have flat feet
User:my son.. am not too sure
User:i feel he has flat feet since his foot does not show a well developed arch
Doctor:Flat feet is confirmed basically by looking at the X-ray of feet.
Doctor:The arch development occurs during birth and later as the child starts to walk.
User:then i must say that i have not got x-ray of my feet done
Doctor:You can start using the foot wear for now.
User:but i had severe knee pain a few years back and my family physician advised me the footwear which has helped me
Doctor:I understand your complaints.
Doctor:Flat feet cause mechanical pain due to absence of arch of the feet.
Doctor:As there is a large pad of fat in the adults sole, it is difficult to predict whether or not one has flat feet.
Doctor:As you have pain and foot for flat feet helped, you might be having it.
Doctor:Getting an X-ray will definitely be helpful confirm flat feet.
Doctor:But I cannot comment if your son too has flat feet (the pad of feet can mask the arch in children who are not used to walking much)
Doctor:So I suggest you to go slow with your son.
Doctor:Have you followed what I suggested?
User:ok .. so right now i dont need to take my son to any orthopedic
Doctor:That's right.
Doctor:In simple terms
User:maybe after a few years if his foot still shows no arch i can consult a doctor
Doctor:1. You might be having flat feet, but as you feel better with foot wear
Doctor:you can continue the same.
Doctor:2. Only if the foot wear doesn't help much,
Doctor:then you need to see an orthopedician
Doctor:who can discuss about the need for surgery.
Doctor:3. Regarding your son, it is difficult to predict if he too has similar problems
Doctor:for some time now.
User:my worry is generally during the rains... when it is difficult to get an arch fitted on rain wear
Doctor:If the too has similar pain, then it needs to be addressed.
User:and which is when i find pain in my knees
User:no right now he is a highly active child who has not complained of any such pain
User:in fact for me too i got the pain when i starting with my morning walks for an hour
User:which was when i was abt 28 yrs
User:so till that time i too had no issues on having flat foot
Doctor:I completely understand your symptoms.
Doctor:The complaints of flat foot starts to arise when the pressure on the feet is increased.
Doctor:Other external factors such as increased walking especially barefoot walking, increased weight and so on can lead to worsening of pain.
Doctor:May I know if you also have pain in your feet?
Doctor:Are you there?
Doctor:Are you there?
User:sorry doc
User:i got a call fm my boss
User:my feet do pain
User:esp after a long walk
Doctor:Let me continue.
Doctor:As i mentioned earlier, flat feet causes mechanical pain mainly in the feet; other joint of the leg can be affected gradually.
Doctor:There is a possibility that you might have the feet pain which went unnoticed
Doctor:and knee pain started later.
User:doctor is it not better than to go for surgery to avoid these pains?
User:or is it better to wait and delay it as far as possible
Doctor:Just like your physician advised, these orthoses / personalised foot wear can treat most the symptoms of flat feet
Doctor:but if you are looking for a permanent solution and a long lasting solution
Doctor:then you can consider surgical treatment.
Doctor:Since surgery is mainly to reduce the symptoms of flat feet,
Doctor:I cannot recommend it without experiencing the pain myself, so you are the best judge to
Doctor:decide whether or not you need to consider surgical correction.
Doctor:If the pain is immense, or if you wish to get over this problem
User:ok thank you so much doctor for your time and patience
Doctor:then consult your orthopedician.
User:one more thing .. is this solution of surgical correction permanent
User:or could there be a chance that the arch may fall later?
Doctor:The principle is to correct the position of feet bones
Doctor:to get back the arch of the feet
Doctor:if it is possible.
Doctor:It provides long lasting relief from pain and the chances of recurrence is less.
User:thank you so much
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor:Bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor