Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Have ear issues, scratching sensation. Is it some sinus issue? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 12-Jun-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1542 Questions
Doctor:Good Morning
User:A very good morning..
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:I have few queries regarding my ear problems..
User:Can I discuss with you?
Doctor:Please proceed with the query.
User:Off lately my ears have started to give me problems.. I feel it's blocked most of the times.. And when the noise level increases I feel a scratching sound inside which is very irritating..
User:though there are no dirt or blockage inside..
Doctor:Do you have any issues with sinuses or nose?
User:Also in moving vehicles I feel irritated with the way my ears feel from inside..
User:Yes.. I had sinus..which turned into migraine off lately..
Doctor:Was any cause for sinusitis found out?
User:No.. It was mostly genetic coz my father had that..atleast that's what being told to me..
Doctor:Let me guide you regarding this.
Doctor:With the short history I have received from you, it seems that, sinusitis may be the most probable reason for your recurrent headaches and fullness in ears.
Doctor:You can do the following to get a better solution for your problems.
User:Also the last time I went for an ear check up they did some sonographic tests and said my ears are a li'l sensitive like new borns and there is nothing to worry.. But off lately things have become worse..
User:Yes go ahead..
Doctor:1. Do steam inhalation twice daily with Cap. Karvol plus dissolved in it.
Doctor:2. Drink only warm water. Avoid cold water completely.
Doctor:3. Wash your nostrils whenever you come from outside.
User:Will that help my ear problems as well?
Doctor:4. Take Tab. Celin 500mg (Vitamin C) 3 times daily for 2 months.
Doctor:Yes, it will help in both ear and nose problems.
User:Is there anything I can do regarding my ears as in any ear drops or something..?
Doctor:Let me explain how it works.
Doctor:As you know the nose continuous behind to open to the throat.
Doctor:And in the throat, there is a tube 'Eustachian Tube', one on each side.
Doctor:That tube connects the throat to middle ear.
Doctor:So, whenever there is any infection or blockage in the nose or throat, it causes the tube to get blocked.
Doctor:And thus it would cause pressure changes within the middle ear.
Doctor:Sometimes,it can cause middle ear infection.
Doctor:The best way to clear it is by oral medications and steam inhalation.
Doctor:Ear drops does not help in this.
Doctor:Are you getting what I said?
User:In case there is any infection, the oral remedy itself should work?
User:I'm getting all what you said..makes sense..
Doctor:In that case, you may require oral antibiotics too.
User:Can you prefer any?
Doctor:Because you see, ear drops works only upto the ear drum.
Doctor:It does not go inside it.
Doctor:If infection is outside the ear drum, then yes, antibiotic ear drops will help.
User:Yes.. I get the point now.. And no wonder I did not have any dirt or something from the ear..
Doctor:In your case, high possibility of a middle ear infection is there.
User:Can you recommend something for middle ear infection..?
Doctor:Let me say, this is my assumption from your history.
Doctor:It has to be confirmed before you take any antibiotics.
User:I guess you have perfectly nailed the problem and everything you said makes perfect sense to me..
Doctor:But, you can follow the earlier measures that I have mentioned.
Doctor:I would not be able to prescribe an antibiotic without examining you.
User:Any checkups recommended..?
Doctor:I will explain what to do and what to ask for.
Doctor:You will need to visit an ENT surgeon.
Doctor:Explain him your problems.
Doctor:And ask him whether you have any 'deviated nasal septum.'
Doctor:In common words, a bent bridge of nose.
Doctor:This can cause a recurrent sinusitis.
Doctor:Allergy can also be a cause.
Doctor:If these two can be excluded permanently, your nose and ear problems could disappear completely.
User:I can confirm that I have "Deviated Nasal Septum"
Doctor:If you have a DNS, then it needs to be corrected for a permanent solution.
User:I had visited ENT before, as a child and I know they said this bent bridge nose and stuffs..
Doctor:Then, probably that could be your basic issue.
Doctor:Other than that, just follow as I advised earlier.
Doctor:Hope you can see your problems in a better perspective.
User:Okay.. But is there any tests that could be taken to confirm mid ear infection..? I think I'm suffering from one and will need oral antibiotics..
User:. That was very helpful to give me a better perspective..
Doctor:No. It can be only diagnosed clinically by examining.
User:I did not come across any doctor to explain me things in so detailed terms..
User:Thanks for that..
Doctor:An audiometry test may help in finding if any blockage or conduction abnormality is there within the ear.
User:So an ENT specialist can diagnose that? Is that right?
Doctor:Yes. Only they can do that.
User:How severe is the impact of mid ear in what are the I need to panic and take immediate actions?
Doctor:It is not an emergency. But, you need to take care of it.
Doctor:There is no need to panic.
Doctor:Long standing ear infections can cause the infection to spread to the veins in brain.
Doctor:So get it checked.
Doctor:Hope I had been helpful.
Doctor:Is there anything else that I can help you on?
User:Nothing else. It was very helpful of you..
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
User:Thank You.
Doctor:Have a Nice day!!
User:I shall do as advised by you.. Thanks again..
Doctor:Please do leave a feedback.
User:You too..
Doctor:Bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor