Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Have a problem with Posterior tear intervertebral disc and diffuse disc bulge. Surgery needed? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 03-Jun-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Brain and Spine
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 106 Questions
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:hello doctor, this is XXXXXXX
User:i require a suggestion to get my problem treated
Doctor:Proceed with your query.
User:i have a problem with:" Posterior tear at L5-S1 intervertebral disc
User:diffuse disc bulge with right paracentral prostrusion of l5-s1
User:causing compression over adjacent thecal sac and its contents with right neural foraminal obliteration
User:i have drafted, you, from a scan report
User:kindly suggest me, previosly doctor's(ortho) advices to have a surgery done
User:and i havn't done.
User:i want to cure this, pain that it was causing
Doctor:Have you seen a neurosurgeon/back surgeon for this problem?
User:by the way, which specialist i had to go with, either Ortho or Neuro
Doctor:Let me brief you XXXXXXX that will answer your queries.
Doctor:1. The issues like this one often results in chronic back pain.
Doctor:The scan reports right neural foramina obliteration at L5 and S1 disc space which is probably compressing the nerves arising from there.
Doctor:This is what is causing the pain.
Doctor:2. Surgery is an attempt to decompress the nerves in this narrowed foramina.
Doctor:However conservative treatment can be tried if the symptoms are not very severe or if there is a neurological deficit.
Doctor:3. Whether or not there is a severe compression / neurological deficit can be known by a detailed neurosurgical examination and a test known as EMG (electromyogram)
Doctor:I am not sure if the orthopedic you met have considered all these, yes, if the orthopedic is an experienced back surgeon he would have considered those.
User:r u there doctor
Doctor:It seems you have moved away from the chat window.
Doctor:Please login again if you have a medical query.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor