Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Have a chronic constipation and gas issue, tried triphala. Need diet change? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 03-Jun-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Constipation
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
Doctor:Good morning
User:good morning doctor
Doctor:Please proceed with your query
Doctor:Are you with me?
User:i have a chornic constipation and gas issue
Doctor:I am sorry to hear that
User:i have tried triphala but it didnt really help
Doctor:Since how long do you have this problem?
Doctor:Chronic constipation seems like there is a problem in your diet
Doctor:You need to make changes in your diet
Doctor:Consume more fibers and liquids
User:i have had this problem for a very long time
User:I have had this issue for a very long time
User:Are you receiving my meesages
Doctor:May I know your age?
Doctor:Yes, I am receiving your test
User:and i do eat a lot of fibre and drink a lot of water too
User:but i think i have had this issue always
Doctor:29 years is too early to develop such a problem
User:my stomach would never clear regularly and stuff
Doctor:You must take actions soon
Doctor:How often do you pass your stools?
User:its very irregular
Doctor:Is this Tirthankar?
User:this is XXXXXXX .his wife
Doctor:Is this for you, XXXXXX?
User:yes it is
Doctor:Is there any bleeding while you pass stools?
User:not really
User:i have had this indigestion issue since always i think
Doctor:Do you have to strain a lot while you pass motions?
User:sometimes yes
Doctor:How is your eating habits?
Doctor:Please do not mind me asking you so many questions
Doctor:But we need to find the cause for your problem
User:am glad you are asking
User:i try to have a balanced diet...that includes dal roti sabzi rice vegies
User:i mean my eating habits are normal
User:and i drink a lot of water
Doctor:Please restrict a little on Rotis
Doctor:They may be hard and difficult to digest
Doctor:It is better to get a colonoscopy done
Doctor:to rule organic cause for the constipation
Doctor:It is better to get it done once
User:and is there any medicine that i can take on a regular basis to aid diestion and stuff
Doctor:You can take Psyllium husk mixed in water or milk
User:is that the same as isabgol?
Doctor:Cremaffin plus is one syrup which is helpful but is advised for long term basis
Doctor:Yes, it is
User:can i take it with curd?
Doctor:It is generally not taken with curd what should be the frequency for it
User:and what about cremaffin plus?
Doctor:Psyllium husk can be taken twice daily
Doctor:Cremaffin plus is usually taken around 10 to 15 ml at bedtime
Doctor:But it is prescribed for short term
Doctor:It is a prescription drug, not to be used long term
Doctor:The cause for the constipation has to be concluded upon and then treated accordingly for how long can it be used..10-15 days?
Doctor:Yes, that should be fine
Doctor:Not more than 2 weeks
User:i understand that...but since i have seen nearly everyone in my family facing this issue..i thought its just indigestion or improper digestion..because sometimes i also feel as if food is till the end of my food pipe (i.e. when i havent eaten much) and i read about seemed to be like a gas issue
Doctor:This is a different problem altogether
Doctor:It is related to the upper gastro-intestinal system
Doctor:The constipation is a lower intestinal problem
User:ohk..i get it
Doctor:Yes, the indigestion problem may be due to acid peptic disease
Doctor:Chronic gastritis
User:i thought both of them are caused due to improper digestion
Doctor:The treatment for this is different
User:ohk..and how can this be diagnosed?
Doctor:They may be related but treatment is different for both
Doctor:An upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy can be done to diagnose this
Doctor:I think you will benefit a lot by following agood diet
User:and should i visit a general practitioner for this issue
Doctor:Would you like to go for a consultation with the Dietitian?
Doctor:You should consult a gastroenterologist for this
Doctor:Would you like to go for a consultation with the Dietitian?
User:i am trying to eat frequently..small meals..with more vegetables etc
Doctor:You can take a diet consultation
User:i have just gone in for a dietician
Doctor:It is free for you
Doctor:Would you like it?
User:sure i can..anything that can help
Doctor:Please confirm your contact number
Doctor:We shall call you soon and guide you further
Doctor:Thank you
Doctor:We shall call you soon and guide you further
User:thank you doctor
Doctor:Please consult a medical Gastroenterologist and discuss about these
Doctor:I wish you quick recovery
Doctor:Do you have more queries?
User:no..i wanted to discuss only this issue
User:thanks for your time
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me
Doctor:Get well soon
Doctor:Bye for now
User:bye..have agr8 day ahead
Doctor:You too
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor