Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Hantaan virus and its detection - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Infections
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
User :   My father is a XXXXX. Hantaan virus was prevalent at that time. He has several health conditions and was never medically reviewed by VA. What factors are required to prove he may have contracted the disease or at least been exposed? There are no medical records available from the war from VA.
Doctor :   Hi..
Doctor :   Dr.
User :   Ok
Doctor :   give me a min i am reading your query
Doctor :   what are his symptoms ?
Doctor :   and his age ?
User :   83 years
User :   Heart disease, urinary tract problems, couple of strokes
User :   More stuff thinking
Doctor :   i see
User :   Takes around 40 pills per day, twice a day
Doctor :   was he at that time diagnosed with it ?
User :   No
User :   Discharged military 1956
Doctor :   the only way to find that out now is a a test what we call as SEROLOGICAL ASSAY
Doctor :   also a complete blood test
Doctor :   Definitive diagnosis is made on the basis of 1 of 3 assays
User :   Ok, thats it?
Doctor :   1) Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay detects circulating immunoglobulin M (IgM) and immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibodies to virus
Doctor :   2) Western blot and strip blot assays are the most commonly used. They use a nucleocapsid (N) antigen for the detection of Hantavirus antibodies. The rapid immunoblot strip assay (RIBA), developed by UNM, is a dipstick-type test that detects viral antibodies in the clinical phase of the disease with 100% sensitivity.
Doctor :   3) using immunohistochemical tests for N-antigens. Viral RNA can also be detected using reverse-transcription-polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
Doctor :   thats the only way you can prove a exposure or infection
User :   Excellent.
User :   Where can I get the test in the DC area?
Doctor :   any major hospital will be carrying out these tests
User :   Thanks
Doctor :   you can always call the microbiology dept and ask
Doctor :   your most welcome
User :   Have a wonderful day
Doctor :   you too take care
Doctor :   good bye
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor