Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

HBA1C test suggested for spiky feeling on both the feet upon stepping - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
User :   hi,
My mom is around 52 yrs old. She feels spiky feeling on both feets only upon stepping( only when she wakes up in the morning). What could that be??
Doctor :   hi
Doctor :   Dr. XXXXXXXX here.
Doctor :   plesae let me read what you have typed
Doctor :   is there anyone with history of diabetes in family?
Doctor :   were her sugar levels checekd?
User :   she does check it on regular basis, seems to be on normal range. I think her mom was diabetic at an older age
Doctor :   does she have any other symptoms associated?
User :   the side of her knee hurts upon pressing ( with her fingers)
Doctor :   ok. is hse having increased appetite, increased thirst, increased frequency of urination?
Doctor :   is the tingling/spiky feel present only in feet or does it involve palms too?
User :   no symptoms of diebetes, tingling in feets and i think palms along time ago
Doctor :   ok. then I would recommend you to get an HBA1C test (glycosylated hemoglobin) test done
Doctor :   which will tell you the exact sugar control status over last 2-3 months time
User :   so you are saying her symptoms are debetes associated??
Doctor :   along with this she will also need a GTT test done to see th einsulin response in teh body
Doctor :   if both are found normal, then she will need nerve conduction tests to rule out peripheral neuropathy
Doctor :   and if the nerve conduction tests show abnormality then further tests with vitamin b level analysis would be required
Doctor :   to see if she is having any deficiency
User :   ok i will have her check all that in that order. is there away i can chat with you again if i have further ? or it is random doctors usually??
Doctor :   you can come online and ask for me. Dr. XXXXI am available between 9am-4pm IST
Doctor :   if your chat gets picked by any other doctor, they will direct you to me if you ask for it
Doctor :   is there anything else i can help you with?
User :   Thank you Dr XXXXXXXX , i will be chatting with you if needed. have a nice day
Doctor :   sure you can get back to me if you have further queries or need help with interpreting her reports
User :   sounds good
Doctor :   get her started on a multivitamin supplement to see if this helps
User :   any recomended kind??
Doctor :   the supplement should contain B-complex group
Doctor :   your pharmacist will be able to help you with over the counter preparation for it
Doctor :   is there anything else I can help you with?
User :   i live in XXXX, but i can find some american brands multivitamines like Centrum, if you dont have any recomendation, i will check it out myself
Doctor :   ok. just make sure that it contains Vitamin B-complex group specifically B1 and B6.
User :   ok, thanks alot Dr XXXX
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me. bye for now.
Doctor :   hi
Doctor :   are you back? do you have further queries to ask me?
Doctor :   Dr. XXXXXXXX here.
Doctor :   are you there?
Doctor :   I have to close the window as you are not responding. Please chat with our doctors 24/7 for medical queries.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor