Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Gonococcal infection, incubation period, gonorrhea symptoms - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2585 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   Good evening.
User :   I had a query on STD
User :   my partner had to go through swob test and is on anti-biotics
Doctor :   Ok
User :   it could be Ganorrhea
Doctor :   Ok
User :   i dont have any signs or symptons
Doctor :   Ok
User :   we have been monogamous for past 45days
Doctor :   Ok
User :   Should I too be on anti-biotics?
Doctor :   May I know who your partner was?
User :   male
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Has gonorrhea has been proved by test in your partner?
User :   well my partner's doctor mentioned that its a STD
User :   didnt name it
User :   but the symptons were pus like discharge from penis
Doctor :   Ok
User :   he is on injections for 3 days and anti-biotic tablets for 5 days
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Let me explain to you.
User :   ok
Doctor :   Sexually Transmitted Disease is any disease that spreads via sexual intercourse.
Doctor :   And out of the many diseases a few are known to be serious and only known to occur through sexual intercourse.
Doctor :   Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Viral such as Herpes, HPV, HIV are few of such serious conditions.
Doctor :   However, other non serious bacterial infections and self limiting viral illness can also spread via sexual intercourse and can be termed as Sexually transmitted disease.
Doctor :   Hence the swab test reports - smear test, culture test and serological test are important in naming the type of infection.
User :   ok
Doctor :   So your partner may not actually be suffering from gonorrhea or chlamydia or other serious infection
Doctor :   unless proved by the test.
Doctor :   Having said this, most bacterial infections can be easily treated by antibiotics.
Doctor :   If your exposure was a recent one - less than a week ago,
Doctor :   one can take preventive antibiotics such as macrolide antibiotics or pencilin group of antibiotic
Doctor :   if there is a strong suspicion or involved in multiple sexual intercourse or loyality of your partner is doubtful.
Doctor :   They can help preventing the bacterial infections.
Doctor :   The use of such preventing antibiotics is doubtful after 2-3 weeks following exposure.
Doctor :   In such cases, you need to watch out for symptoms.
User :   its been 7days
Doctor :   Incubation period of gonococcal infection is between 4-6 days.
User :   and since yesterday i have slight fever, headache and aching legs - but no discharge
Doctor :   Hence if you were to be infected with the gonococcus, symptoms are expected to occur in a weeks time.
Doctor :   Maximum period following expose when the symptoms can occur is one month.
Doctor :   So if you haven't had symptoms of discharge which are classical of gonococcal infection,
Doctor :   then it is unlikely that you suffer from it.
Doctor :   You need not worry.
Doctor :   Watch out for the symptoms and if you develop , then you may take the course of antibiotics.
User :   ok
Doctor :   As far as the present symptoms goes, mild fever, headache and body ache may or may not be the symptoms of infection.
Doctor :   To simplify my answer to you.
Doctor :   1. The symptom that you report may or may not be symptoms of gonorrhea.
Doctor :   2. You may discuss with your partner and based on the report suggested on the swab test
Doctor :   the type of infection your partner suffers will be clear.
Doctor :   This will ease your mind a bit.
Doctor :   3. If there is a serious doubt on the type of infection your partner is having,
Doctor :   they you can consider taking prophylaxis treatment(preventive antibiotics)
Doctor :   A course of macrolide antibiotics / tetracyclines / Pencillin group of antibiocs can be used for this purpose
Doctor :   4. Lastly watch out for the symptoms - back ache, discharge - yellow coloured foul smelling one, pain or burning sensation while passing urine
Doctor :   If you develop these symptoms, then you need the tests which will confirm the diagnosis.
Doctor :   Curative treatment will then be initiated.
Doctor :   Have you followed what I have suggested?
User :   backache - i do experience that - thought it is because of long work hours
Doctor :   Backache secondary to gonococcal infection is an associated symptoms and not a direct symptom of gonorrhea.
Doctor :   Hence no need to concern.
User :   ok
User :   incase i need to get the tests done - what speacialist doctor should i see?
Doctor :   Back ache with discharge or urine problem can be a sign of lower abdomen/pelvic infection that can occur in this type of tinfection.
Doctor :   May I know your gender?
User :   no discharge or burning sensation right now
User :   am male
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   If symptoms such as discharge, urine problem occur, then you can consult a urologist who following physical examination will guide you through the test.
Doctor :   Do you follow?
User :   yes
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
User :   Symptom will appear in max of 1 month
User :   otherwise it wont
User :   right?
Doctor :   Yes.
User :   ok
Doctor :   Symptoms usually appear in a weeks time,
Doctor :   the max it is expected to appear by a months time.
Doctor :   Symptoms after a month following exposure is not expected.
Doctor :   Hope it is clear to you.
User :   and my partner - how much time will it take him to be cured?
Doctor :   Symptoms should be down in a 10 to 14 days with appropriate antibiotics.
Doctor :   Some resistant infections can last much longer\
Doctor :   in those case change of antibiotics
Doctor :   as suggested by culture and sensitive test will be needed.
User :   ok
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
User :   no doctor. this was very helpful. thanks a lot
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor :   Bye for now.
User :   Bye.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor