Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Gastritis due to excessive alcohol consumption - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Digestion and Bowels
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 681 Questions
User :   My husband cannot keep fluids down after drinking,
Doctor :   Hi,
User :   hello.
User :   so we are trying to figure out if he needs to go to the hospital or not.
Doctor :   Can you eplain it in little bit more detail ?
User :   he drank probably too much whiskey last night and was fine all morning, had been eating and drinking, then this afternoon got ill feeling and can't keep liquids down
Doctor :   Visit your GP
User :   like right now? do you have any other questions?
Doctor :   Do not feed him with anything other than juices til a physcal examination is done
Doctor :   Can i you tell me the symptoms in detail ?
User :   just vomiting and can't keep water down, other than that he feels fine
User :   he doesn't have a fever or headache and his breathing is ok as well
Doctor :   ok, as i said just feed him with juices but do not over load let it be in sips
Doctor :   i consider it to be due to Gastritis
User :   ok
Doctor :   try with TUMS or Prilosec Otc either may help
Doctor :   Prilosec one tab per day
User :   do you think it'll just pass with time? oh ok
Doctor :   better empty stomach
Doctor :   it could be self limiting , but if it worsens then visiting ER is must
User :   ok, he is just concerned b/c he was fine all day and it just hit..
Doctor :   need not worry ,
Doctor :   its could be just a GI upset or gastritis
User :   ok thanks! is there any thing else we should do to help relieve the symptoms
User :   he doesn't really take medications so the priolsec isn't an option
Doctor :   follow my advice , i would expect him to be normal after skipping two meals and supplementing them with juices
User :   ok, thank you
Doctor :   You are welcome
User :   happy new year
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor