Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Gas and indigestion problem - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Average Posted in: Digestion and Bowels
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 680 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hi
User :   This is XXXXXXXX from ....
Doctor :   iam. Dr....
User :   Hi ,,,,,, I wanted to discuss about my gastro problem
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   Hi
User :   I have gas & indigestion problem, I had gall bladder surgery 20 months back
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   May i know your age?
User :   34
Doctor :   Was it for removing stones?
Doctor :   Do you have high cholesterol?
User :   need to check my cholesterol checked, i am overwiight 70 kgs, ht 5.6 ft
Doctor :   Do you take alcohol?
Doctor :   Do you smoke?
User :   no
User :   no
Doctor :   Good
Doctor :   Where you having a lot of junk foods?
User :   have mild head & neck pain , when I feel gas has formed in the stomach
User :   occassionaly
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   Was it present before 20 months?
User :   it was more severe then
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   gall bladder diseases may cause indigestion
Doctor :   Excess gas in the digestive tract (which is your esophagus, stomach, small intestine, and colon/large intestine) can come from 2 sources: increased intake of gas, for example, from air you swallow; or increased production of gas as certain undigested foods are broken down by harmless bacteria normally found in your colon
Doctor :   Swallowed air (aerophagia): This can occur with improper swallowing while eating or even unconscious swallowing of air out of habit.
Doctor :   Activities that cause you to swallow air include rapid drinking, chewing gum, use of tobacco products, sucking on hard candy, drinking carbonated beverages etc
Doctor :   Your body does not digest and absorb some carbohydrates (for example, the sugar, starches, and fiber found in many foods) in the small intestine because of a shortage or absence of certain enzymes there. So this undigested food then passes from the small intestine into the large intestine, where normal, harmless bacteria break down the food, producing hydrogen, carbon dioxide, and, in about a third of all people, methane....
User :   whay is the best practice i should adopt to keep things under control
User :   diet habits , exercise if any
Doctor :   yes
Doctor :   the most common ways to reduce the discomfort of gas are changing diet, taking medicines, and reducing the amount of air swallowed.
Doctor :   Limit high-fat foods to reduce bloating and discomfort.
Doctor :   Medical intervention includes treatment with antibiotics if bacterial overgrowth of the GI tract is suspected or evidence of parasitic infection is seen.
Doctor :   Regulation of bowel function is essential. Constipation should be treated with increased dietary fiber or certain laxatives.
Doctor :   In cases where anxiety causes you to swallow air, your doctor may suggest you seek mental health counseling to change habit patterns.
Doctor :   do regular exercises every day
Doctor :   that will increase your bowel movements
Doctor :   and have a good sleep
Doctor :   as mind stress can cause increased acid secretion
Doctor :   try these home remedies first
Doctor :   and still no relief you need a physical examination from a gastro
Doctor :   is there anything else i can help you with now?
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting..BYE FOR NOW
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor