Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Fungal infection in the vagina - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1776 Questions
User :   i am getting white think dough like discharge in and around my vigina, my lips are so dry and has form a dry skin crust at the lower bottem of my vigina, the inside opening is red red colour and i have small cuts that sting and it itchy but does not there anything i can get over the counter or supermarkets i can use to stop the pain til i can go to the doctors please
Doctor :   hello
Doctor :   i am Dr xxxxx here
Doctor :   may i know your age please ?
User :   its only been a few days but its so unbearable and painful
User :   i am 34
Doctor :   you have not taken any medication ?
User :   i have been taking medication that i have taken before to stop the fishy smell i usally have
Doctor :   what you have is typical fungal infection . i will tell you some cream you can put for rest BUT you do need to see a physician and get a antibiotic course
User :   but its never happened like this before on this medication
Doctor :   that will be the permanent cure for it
Doctor :   it is important to find out the exact cause of your having these infections by doing a culture
Doctor :   so that specific antibiotics can be given
Doctor :   can you tell me the name of the cream you were using before
User :   i dont know if its me, but i also have a pain on my right shoulder muscle and my left hip joint feels like a (when you have a dead leg..) i get pain in my stomach and i get lower back pains and severe fitgue and its hard to sleep and i wake up in cramps
Doctor :   are you on any pills ?
Doctor :   do you have any other medical condition?
Doctor :   like diabetes ?
User :   i am taking metroindazole to stop the smell and the white smelly discharge
User :   i dont take pills
User :   not that i am aware of
Doctor :   ok
User :   i take multi vitimns
User :   and omega3 tablets
User :   but these tablets hasnt done this to me
User :   before
Doctor :   those tablets are ok
User :   i can sleep and i feel like crap and cramps when i do sleep and i cant sleep at night...i get fitgue every aprox hours then i sleep for 5 -6 sometime 15hrs
Doctor :   well you do need a prescription strength antibiotics
User :   when i am working and i get tired my face goes pale and my eyes get dry and sticky and sore and i look tired with bags...but my vigina is my biggest concern as it keeps hurting
Doctor :   Reducing the amount of sugar you ingest in your body can help treat the infection. Sugar should only be taken in small amount as it can increase the production of Candida albicans
User :   is there anything i can get over the counter til i get to the doctors the doctors here are always booked
Doctor :   Avoid wearing thongs as this will harm your vagina during the duration of infection. It is more advisable to wear non-fitting panties. You should allow air to come in to avoid more infection
Doctor :   Yogurt is also a good help. Eating yogurt everyday can treat the infection. It is advisable to eat at least three to four glasses of yogurt a day, in less that two weeks your infection will be gone.
Doctor :   Intake of cranberry juice. Regular intake can help cure the infection as it has an anti bacterial property that can eliminate the signs and symptoms of yeast infection
Doctor :   BUT you do need a antibiotic course
Doctor :   A 7-day oral course yields a 95% cure
User :   what about the outside problem this has never happened to me ...its so painful it has small cuts and white discharge appear in the folds of my lips
User :   making it to moist in between so i air it out then the outside feels dry and cracked
Doctor :   its all because the infection spreading to the outer skin which is very sensitive because of the nerve endings
User :   whats a course? i have to go to class?
Doctor :   no
Doctor :   it means the DURATION of medication ... you just need to see a gynecologist and you will be prescribed antibiotic
User :   should i tell my doctor this?
Doctor :   which you will take for 7 days
User :   oh ok
Doctor :   that duration of antibiotics is called as course
Doctor :   but you really do need to see one soon
Doctor :   but dont worry its completely curable
User :   i there any creams i can take from the supermarket to stop the pain on the outside?
User :   so what do you call this
Doctor :   its called Vulvovaginal candidiasis
User :   also with the other pains do you think i might have early signs of overial cancer/
Doctor :   fungal infection
Doctor :   no not at all
Doctor :   its all typical sign of infection
Doctor :   no cancer
Doctor :   LAMISIL AT
User :   so this fungal infection can they get rid of it permently
Doctor :   apply this
User :   whats that
Doctor :   BUT do see a physician
Doctor :   its a cream
Doctor :   it will give relief
Doctor :   BUT you have to see a gynecologist
User :   okay thank you
Doctor :   thats important as complete cure is by antibiotics only
Doctor :   your welcome
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor