Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Fungal infection in a diabetic patient - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Diabetes
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3622 Questions
User :   Hi, I have cracks on my penis around the head. The penis was itchy the past few days, but not anymore. Just cracked now. I am uncircumcised. I had this before. The OVC meds I got here in the USA did not really help, the only one that did was by prescription from a doctor when I was in Switzerland. What should I do?
Doctor :   hello
User :   Good morning
Doctor :   hold a min please
User :   How are you, doctor? By the way, I meant OTC meds above. Sorry for the typo.
Doctor :   let me go thru your query
Doctor :   no problem
Doctor :   may i know your age please ?
User :   63
Doctor :   can you tell me the name of the medications you were prescribed ?
User :   no, that's the problem, I moved and threw out everything that was almost empty.
Doctor :   are the cuts bleeding ?
User :   no, they are red, but do not bleed
Doctor :   do you have any other medical problem ?
Doctor :   diabetes or high blood pressure ?
User :   I have Diabetes II but it's under control, and hypertension, also under control (120/80)
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   the cracking of the skin of the penis does looks like a fungal presentation
Doctor :   and it is seen in diabetics
Doctor :   even when the sugar is under controlled
User :   I remember that I had it once when I had to take antibiotics. About two weeks back my wife had to take pretty strong antibiotics but I doubt that could have caused my cracks.
User :   and I also had it once when she was diagnosed with a yeast infection
Doctor :   to be honest with you as a online consultation i will be unable to prescribe you a medication as for that a physical examination is must
Doctor :   it sure is a fungal ingfection
Doctor :   infection
Doctor :   can you tell me what OTC were you taking ?
User :   I think it was Neosporin and some other that was for treating "Jock Itch" (I think that's what it said on the package)
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   let me tell you few stronger ones
User :   Yes, please
Doctor :   LAMISIL TA
Doctor :   sorry its LAMISIL AT
Doctor :   and LOTRAMIN AF
Doctor :   try these
Doctor :   thay have prescription strength
Doctor :   you can buy any one of these thats available
User :   Thank you. I will, I appreciate your help. If it does not work, I'll check in with a local doctor. A general physician or do I need a urologist or dematorlogist?
Doctor :   dermatologist
Doctor :   Your most welcome
Doctor :   take care of your self
User :   Ok, thanks and Happy Holidays!
Doctor :   same to you
Doctor :   good bye
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor