Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Fungal infection and jock itch - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Infections
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2568 Questions
User :   Hi, may I ask about the transmission of jock itch? I am a male & I am infected, but am being treated by prescription creams & pills. Is this able to be transmitted sexually to my female partner?                                                                 
Doctor :   Hi..
Doctor :   Dr xxxx here
Doctor :   Let me read what you have typed
Doctor :   May i know your age?
Doctor :   Since when are you suffering from this?
User :   57
User :   I've had this for about 2weeks, but only started prescribed treatment 4. Days ago.
Doctor :   Do you have any other symptoms like raised sugar, BP or cholesterol?
User :   I've no idea, but have had high cholesterol levels in the past. I'm taking econazole nitrate cream & fluconazole 100mg tablets.
Doctor :   It is a fungal infection affecting thigh, genitals and groin area.
Doctor :   You should avoid having intercourse with your partner for few days as the infection may spread.
User :   Yes. Can you please answer my initial question & perhaps recommend a powder to relieve the itch?
Doctor :   2)Wear loose fitting undies.
Doctor :   The medications provided to you are the right ones but are you interested in knowing a powder?
User :   Yes please. I was using medicated Gold Bond powder, but Dr. Did not recommend it, so I moved to plain baby powder.
Doctor :   No do not use baby powder it would not help. You can use MICATIN POWDER and apply after washing the area and properly drying it.
Doctor :   Use a separate towel for cleaning the infected area and other body parts.
User :   Apply the powder right over the cream application?
Doctor :   You can apply the powder separately after few hours of cream application.
Doctor :   Wash your undergarments in hot soapy water.
Doctor :   Wash the infected area after even walking and if you have sweating.
Doctor :   Never let it be moist as it may increase the infection.
User :   Ok. Very helpful. Thank you. How long should I expect to have this?
Doctor :   At least two weeks to be cured
Doctor :   Take care.
User :   Thank you.
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me , bye for now

Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor