Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Fractured ankle surgery to be postponed or not - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
Doctor :   hi
Doctor :   How can i help you today ?
User :   My son had a skin graft 20 days ago, has contracted MRSA, what are the risks to his skin graft? He is also scheduled for surgery today for a fractured ankle, should this be delayed until the MRSA is treated
Doctor :   let me read your query
Doctor :   may i know if this was a split skin graft ? or a complete skin graft ?
Doctor :   In case of a complete skin grafting, the skin is supplied with proper blood supply and is not affected much
Doctor :   but in case of a split skin graft, a infection at the site of graft can cause delayed graft growth and possibly graft failure
Doctor :   But in case of late infections , that is after 20 days, the graft is usually well established, and the risk of failure is less
User :   Think it was a complete graft
User :   BUT, one small part of the graft hasn,t taken
Doctor :   In that case, as i mentioned earlier, the risk to graft is less, and it will not be affected much, BUT ADEQUATE ANTIBIOTIC COVERAGE WITH VANCOMYCIN and other good antibiotics has to be provided
Doctor :   In case of the ankle surgery, its best to delay it , as long as the infection lasts
Doctor :   the surgery is better done, once the infection has been treated and repeated cultures have been negative
Doctor :   Are u there ?
Doctor :   Have you followed my advice ?
User :   Yes, one doctor recommended waiting 7 days for surgery but 3 hours later he was put on the schedule for todays surgery, very confusing!
Doctor :   you can convey your opinion that u want the surgery delayed
User :   He was in an accident on 5th March, ankle has been in a cast but not healing, could there be risks to delaying the surgery?
Doctor :   the surgeons just want the surgery to be done, at their time
Doctor :   delay by a week or two , will not cause any issues
User :   Ok, Thanks very much
Doctor :   but if MRSA infection, of the surgery site occurs, then the risk or resurgery and implant removal may be high
Doctor :   you are most welcome
Doctor :   Do u have any other questions for me ?
Doctor :   are u there?
it seems that you have moved out of the chat session.
Doctor :   please log back in again if you have any other medical query
Doctor :   take care and bye for now
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor