Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

Feels acidic and gaseous after consuming milk. Normal? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 28-May-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Eating Disorders
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
User:hi doctor
Doctor:Dr XXXXXXX here
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:Hi, I am facing a problem, whenever I drink milk I feel like my body is creating more Acid and feels like gaseous all the time. I have tried to stop taking milk and the problem goes away to a greater extent. Now, whenever I take things with too much Protein content again my body starts creating Gas, but not comparable to milk. Is my body acidic? At the same time I don't want to stop taking milk as it contains lot of nutirents which are necessary
User:please help
Doctor:Since when have you noticed this problem?
Doctor:May I know your age?
User:I am 30
Doctor:Do you also get loose stools when you drink milk?
User:i am noticing this since last 6 months
User:not loose stools
User:but ya i usually go to washroom almost 3-4 times a day
Doctor:Does this happen only after taking milk or other specific diet
Doctor:or you normally go to the wash room 3-4 times a day everyday?
User:milk majorly, but if I take Eggs as well as protein shakes again my body starts producing GAS
User:but not comparable to milk
Doctor:Let me brief you.
Doctor:I can think of 2 conditions that can explain the symptoms you have.
Doctor:1. It is probably due to allergy.
Doctor:Few people are allergic to some diet or a component in the diet
Doctor:Body reacts in the form of bloating, loose stools when such allergens are consumed.
Doctor:You may be allergic to some protein or aminoacid
Doctor:and every time you take that, you develop the symptoms.
Doctor:2. The second possibility could be that this could be an irritable bowel.
Doctor:Individuals with irritable bowel develop similar symptoms to most food but specifically to few diet.
Doctor:You would need to consult a gastroenterologist for evaluation to rule these condition out.
Doctor:In both the cases, the treatment may include to restrict the causative diet.
Doctor:In addition lifestyle changes, physical exercise can help.
Doctor:If the symptoms are severe, antacids, proton pump inhibitor drugs / antihistamines can be prescribed by your doctor.
Doctor:Have you followed what I suggested?
User:yes, everything
User:I have one more question
Doctor:Do you have any other query?
User:do we have any kind of test to detect what kind of problem it is
User:means if allergic, then to what
User:basically I want to know if my body is Allergic to somethiing, then what is this something..
Doctor:It is difficult to predict the allergen without a specific test called skin patch / allergen test.
Doctor:The possibility are you may be allergic to some specific aminoacid (protein component)
Doctor:We need to test you for individual aminoacid / protein to determine what you may be allergic too.
Doctor:If there are no allergies determined, then food allergy may be ruled out.
Doctor:The test is a bit complex and can be performed after the initial evaluation by a gastroenterologist.
Doctor:Have you followed?
User:yes i got it
User:last query, if i want to go for this test, how much will it cost me..and you said the test is a bit complex.. complex in terms of.?
Doctor:Complexity as you may need to be tested repeatedly
Doctor:to individual components / allergens.
Doctor:The cost varies depending on the institute and number of allergens your doctor wants to know about.
Doctor:Hence my suggestion would be to consider the test only after talking with a gastroenterologist.
Doctor:Have you followed?
Doctor:Is there any other query?
User:yes, no other query...thanks a lot
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor:Bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Other doctor chats you may be interested in
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor