Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Exposure to HIV, window period for PCR test - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: HIV and AIDS
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 681 Questions
User :   hi
Doctor :   HI
Doctor :   I am zdr. XXX
User :   I wish to know the Window period for PCR test...
Doctor :   How can I help u?
User :   I was told by Lab its minimum 72 Hrs... so after 72 hrs can I take test for accurate results..
User :   I' talking about PCR HIV test
User :   ??
Doctor :   Hold on
Doctor :   I am getting answer for u
Doctor :   plz hold
Doctor :   Ideadlly they it 22 day
User :   ok...
Doctor :   So after 22 day PCR can detect HIV antibodies
User :   for a PCR too..
Doctor :   if it is negative , check again with HIV PCR
User :   I didnt get u...
User :   The Lab people say afte 72 hrs PCR can detect HIV..
User :   so shud I wait for 22 days..or go for it..
Doctor :   Ifr the first test is negative u can go for repeat ing the test after one moth
User :   its been 6 days since exposure...
User :   so I can take a test now ... if its negative I can take one after a month... right..
Doctor :   Go VIDAS HIV test
User :   wat?
User :   wat s VIDAS HIV?
Doctor :   This is one kind of HIV PCR test
Doctor :   This detects quickly in one week
User :   ok...
Doctor :   But again if negative
Doctor :   repeat after 1 mo
Doctor :   Body needs antibodies to produce
User :   ok
Doctor :   the test detects antibodies
Doctor :   Usually if u stronly suspect u r exposed to HIV
Doctor :   u can get the treatment for minimum one month irrespective of the test results
Doctor :   Usually AZT is enough
Doctor :   it decreases the chance of infection if u come across
Doctor :   Are you there?
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor