Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Does children acquire genetic problems from mother? Can it be corrected? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 11-Jun-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Genetics
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
Doctor:Good morning
Doctor:Please proceed with your query
User:Hi Dr. I had recently delivered a baby on 1 Nov 12. Now she is 4 months old. I had a genetic problem in my teeth & height. My teeth are very weak. They are dark brown in colour & broke very easily, ( layers of my teeth chipped off on eating hard food) if having some hard food like sugarcane/grams etc. Had done crowning on my teeth in yr 2006. Though my real teeth are hidden under the crown but I am afraid if my daughter can have this genetic problem from my side. My height is also very short. it is 4.7 feet, but my husband is tall, he is 5.9 feet. I am also afraid of my baby's growth if she could not take my height. When she was born, her height was 49 cm & wt. was 3.4 kg. Dr. had given me the delivery date of 2 nov 12, & I had delivered my child on 1 Nov 12. Had completed the full pregnancy cycle. Dr plz help me, I dont want my genetic problem transfers to my daughter as I had received the genetic problem from my father as he is 5 feet tall & have same brown teeth.
Doctor:I have read your query
Doctor:Do you know the name of the genetic condition that you suffer from?
User:No Dr.
User:My father has acquired this problem from his father. My father are 8 brothers & sisters, out of them two sister have also acquired the same genetic problem. & their children also get the same problem.
Doctor:Please get your karyotyping done by a Genetic specialist
Doctor:Also, your baby's DNA typing needs to be done
User:I am consulting with a pediatric here. she has adviced me to give calcium syrup & homeopathic tablets to my daughter.
Doctor:If your baby has inherited the disorder it can be detected by these gene mapping
Doctor:That would be ideal
User:What is karyotyping & DNA typing??? What kind of treatment is this???
Doctor:It is not treatment
Doctor:It is a diagnostic test to detect genetic abnormalities
User:Is it a kind of blood test???
Doctor:it is
Doctor:It also uses buccal smear to test
User:Can i done it on a diagnosis centre??? Plz tell me the name of the test I can done it by myself
Doctor:it is not done that wat
Doctor:A genetic specialist will need to examine you, take a detailed history and then do examination
Doctor:and only then he/she can do the tests
Doctor:The itself is done by the Genetics specialist at her or his clinic
Doctor:Hope you are following me
User:If the same is diagnosed & my baby has possess the same problem then can it be cured???
User:Yes I am following u.
Doctor:Genetically inherited diseases cannot be altered much
User:But there would be some way Dr.
Doctor:That is why a detailed study is required
Doctor:and then we can find out where we can halt the process
Doctor:The process is complex
Doctor:Definitely, there is a way
Doctor:But is is possible only with specialist's hands and expertise
User:Thanx Dr. I will consult with the gentic Dr. Plz tell is it the right time to consult with genetic DR as my daughter is only four months
Doctor:you must consult the genetic specialist earlier
User:I think I can consult the specialist before she gets her teeth.
Doctor:It would be ideal
Doctor:Do you have more queries now?
User:Can u plz tell is my child is normal accrding to her wt & ht when she was born. Her ht was 49 cm & wt was 3.4 kg.
Doctor:Her height was normal
Doctor:Weight is a bit more than normal at 3.4 kg
User:Now on 9 march 13 her wt - 6.35 & ht- 60.5cm. Is my child growing normally???
Doctor:Yes, she is
User:will she have a good ht??? she will cross 5 ft ht???
Doctor:Sorry, I cannot predict that
Doctor:In fact, no doctor can predict that
User:Can I give her calcium syrup???
Doctor:Yes, sure
User:Ok Dr. Thanx a lot
Doctor:Thank you too
Doctor:Is that all for now?
User:I hjave questions
User:Dr I am facing back ache & leg pain after my delivery. I cant stand for 10 mints . Got severe ache in ankles.
Doctor:Have you got your calcium levels checked
Doctor:Please get it checked
User:From where did it can be checked??? I am not taking calcium tablest
Doctor:You can get it done in any standard laboratories
Doctor:Are you there?
Doctor:It seems like you are not responding
User:Ya dr.
User:Thanx a lot for ur advice.
User:By for Now
Doctor:Thank you too
Doctor:Bye for now
Doctor:Take care
Doctor:Good day ahead
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor